Filling loop valves leak when used

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Teki, Oct 6, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

I have been through quite a few different filling loops/isolation valves.

Whenever I have to fill the system, the valve will leak from the lever screw. Sometimes the valve won't fully seal shut afterwards!

Are there any filling loop brands which come with valves that don't leak when used?

2. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

They all seem to leak these days.
    The old myson ones were decent. They had a white plastic head that actually screwed up and down.
    These quarter turn ones these days are pathetic.

rogerk101 and KIAB like this.
  3. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I can't for the life of me understand why filling loop valves are so prone to leaking. Every one I have ever fitted has leaked after much too short a time ... sometimes almost without ever needing to be used, as I'm lucky enough not to have to fill my system more than once every couple of years. But the first time I use them, they leak, and then continue to leak. I've even had one leaking the wrong way ... both the filling loop valve and the built-in double check valve so that the my heating system was gaining pressure from the leaking valves.
    There's an opportunity there for someone to make some money ... design and market a filling loop system that lasts longer than a couple of years!

4. heatyman

heatyman Well-Known Member

But a plumber/heating engineer will not pay £30 for a filling loop that can be bought for £10. Likewise a customer will not pay £30 for an item the internet tells him he can buy for £10.
    Having said that, a good system should not need the filling loop to be used to excess. If they are, then the cost of a filling loop could be peanuts compared to the damage caused by the introduction of too much fresh water.

5. soabar

soabar Member

Other than the valve, the seals typicaly fitted onto the end of the hoses seem too perish & leak in the blink of an eye... This is only an issue while filling, but it doesn't half get my goat that water pis*** into the boiler casing when filling.

What gets my goat even more is that seals aren't available as a spare - they are nearly standard o-rings, but not quite, being square in section so that a regular o-ring just doesn't fit.

6. David1968

David1968 New Member

Hi Guys,

My valve is prone to leaking from the bottom under the tap, and I wonder as a short term measure until I can get it replaced, can I use some putty around it to seal it temporarily?

I am a complete non DIYer, so please forgive me!

Thanks
    David

7. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Post a photo of the valve.