Filling Screw holes - Skirting

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Philipo51617, May 27, 2019.

1. Philipo51617

Philipo51617 New Member

Hi,
    I've just had new skirting boards fitted and need to fill the screw holes. Is this the best stuff to use?
    My only concern is that it sets like concrete and therefore difficult to sand.

Cheers
    Phil
    SmartSelect_20190527-213633_Gallery.jpg

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

It will do especially as it seems you already have it. You can pare it down with a chisel whilst it's setting and that will reduce the sanding required.

Edit: If you've had the boards fitted, why didn't the installer fill the holes?

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Use the 2 part but use a french blade so it is slightly recessed, when it's gone off go over with lightweight filler then lightly sand.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

It will do the job, don't over fill, fill the holes flush and if required finish off with a second fill once cured.

5. Philipo51617

Philipo51617 New Member

Thanks for the quick responses ....job for tomorrow

6. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

Done window boards with this before then tupret fine surface on top. Invisible...till 18 months later. Avoid screws in window boards at all costs now.
    Anyway, sure you will be fine with this

7. Philipo51617

Philipo51617 New Member

He is due to come back so will chase him to fill, but wasnt too sure whether that normally falls under his remit, or was up to me to do.

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Wether it is the chippies job or the painters job is an ongoing argument, I foam my skirtings on so don't have this problem.

Wayners likes this.
  9. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Clear finish chippies

Painted finish p and d.

Same as you I foam them on though.

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Agree