filling skirting

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by nakedterry, Aug 30, 2006.

1. nakedterry

nakedterry New Member

I have been doing my skirting and have used various methods to fill small gaps (its painted so no worries) and hide the counter sunk screws.
    Just wanted to get a bit of a debate on the best methods.
    I have used
    1. Caulk - on the tops for wonky walls
    2. All purpose filler - for the screws
    3. Wood filler - for small gaps at the scribed internals.

Anybody have and preference or can caluk be used for the lot?

2. Caulks great for transition cracks, I wouldn't use it for screw holes as it will dip into the whole when drying. I use Beeline Red Devil for holes.

3. nakedterry

nakedterry New Member

Thanks Jimbob.
    Do you think that caulk can be used for the following application.

Along the ceiling wall join in my kids rooms is a 2-3mm crack in places. Usually I would use some scrim tape and filler and sand the lot down to a smooth join, but it takes a long time.
    Could an application of caulk and a neat wipe with my finger save me the bother?

4. Along the ceiling wall join in my kids rooms is a 2-3mm crack in places.

Absolutely, but you must give the caulk adequate drying time though. I try to get this job and the rest of the prep done on the first day of a job to let it go off over night.

The emulsion can craze over the caulk unless it's really dry.

5. nakedterry

nakedterry New Member

Will do.
    Used the tape and fill method in the bathroom. Took ages and made a right dusty mess. Should have it done by tonight.
    Oh look, its nearly 4pm. Time to put my mist coat on and go home!

6. Telmay

Telmay New Member

Caulk crazing that can be a right pain!

7. Caulk crazing that can be a right pain!

You knows it, great way to ruin a good job and get a call back. All because the decorator won't wait for the caulk to cure. No such thing as a 'one hour caulk' when overpainting with emulsion. Applying a second coat of emulsion too soon can have a similar effect. Just need to slooooooooooowwwwwwwwwww doooooooowwwwwwwwnnnnnnn a bit, lol

Patience is a virtue and all that.

8. nakedterry

nakedterry New Member

Cheers for that. Like I was saying on the other thread I am a bit of a perfectionist and to rush a job and make a mess of it would set me off no end.
    I am going to have it all done by the weekend and I cant wait to see it as the upstairs in my new house has not been decorated since the eighties, peach and grey everywhere - yuk.

9. dino

dino New Member

Caulk crazing is often caused by the emulsion being less flexible than the caulk, particularly matt. Try spot priming it with silk or midsheen