Final Drains Test?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by NigelA, Jan 22, 2005.

1. NigelA

NigelA New Member

Have a new installation comprising 2 soil pipes & 3 inspection chambers. Any one know what the Building Inspector will want to see regarding testing? Help appreciated.

2. MR MISTERY !

MR MISTERY ! New Member

Hi NigelA,
    Best speak to your building inspector. He will tell you what he expect's.

3. LeeKing

LeeKing New Member

I think they will want to see the system plugged off and filled with water and observed over a set period of time (can't remember how many hours) for soundness.

Sorry I can't help more.

Someone on here must know more...any helpers?

4. SRP

SRP New Member

When we installed the drainage on my newbuild last summer, the Building inspector only watched by the lowest manhole as a bucket of water was poured into the soil pipe in the house. The water came out so the pipe was sloping downhill, job done. I was expecting to do an air test though.

5. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Not much help but (I may have seen it on here) one approach was to drop a ping pong ball at the top of the stack. If it rolled out into the final inspection chamber it was OK!

6. i thought ur joking, but i guess its a way of ensuring fall of pipe is ok, and the usual contents will get to sewer ok!

7. NigelA

NigelA New Member

Thanx for all your comments chaps. I have found that different authorities have different requirements generally, so you are probably all correct! Hopefully I can get away with water test at worst.
    Anyone know if water traps ie w/c, sink, shower, bath will support an air test?
    Cheers

8. MR MISTERY !

MR MISTERY ! New Member

Hi NigelA,
    they should do, but probably wont.

You will likely have to put basin,bath,sink, plugs in and fill each with water to help keep them in.

The trouble is, its difficult to get the pressure just so, to carry out the test.
    The other thing is, if you have any Anti-vac traps in the system, they won't hold either, and you will have to change them for standard 3" traps while the test is done.
    One other thing, don't forget to cap off the main vents, or you will be at it all day.
    Good luck.

9. NigelA

NigelA New Member

Many thanks Mr Misteriy, that helps a lot. "The man" is coming tomorrow - so will be interesting to see what the requirement is. Will let you all know what happens. Cheers

10. NigelA

NigelA New Member

Well, the inspector arrived with full air test equipment - plugged the vent and pressurised the soil/wastes from the pipe entering the inspection chamber. Luckily all OK.
    Thanks again for your comments.

11. mr oneill

mr oneill New Member

ole fashioned test plug last manhole and fill all runs with water, leave for couple of hour as you will get air pockets, fill again to level break matchstick in half and place into manholes if youve got a good eye and there is a leak the matchstick will begin to go round the manhole if it remains reletively still there ok