Finding reputable trades people

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Wigalzmum, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Wigalzmum

Wigalzmum Member

Hi Guys,

I am trying to find A1 plasterers who also do coving. I want to see genuine customer reviews and once they see the work actually come back with a quote at a reasonable price????

In the past I tried Checkatrade when I needed some snagging and painting done - this has been very disastrous to say the least and has put me off a bit tbh!!!!

I'm so disheartened at the moment. I have a local community website where I have had some recommendations from but only 1 out of 6 has quoted.

Could anyone offer any advice as too what I can try next please? I've posted on Rated People but wonder if there any others that are genuine with pucker tradespeople.

Many thanks :)

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

It may help if you hinted at what area of the country you a placed...not an exact address. :)

Recommendations from family, friends, colleagues etc is a fairly safe route! ;)

Muzungu likes this.
  3. Wigalzmum

Wigalzmum Member

Sorry Astra :rolleyes: I did with these, they all visited. Dartford :D

4. FUNDIMOLD

FUNDIMOLD Active Member

I'm afraid every one wants the easy money. It's got to the stage where I don't want to use anyone who says they can do the job straight away because, well, how come they're not busy!o_O I've started using my neighbourhood website for personal recommendations which has worked well so far. Mybuilder has been ok but only in as much as the trades 'put a shift in' rather than quality of workmanship.

5. Wigalzmum

Wigalzmum Member

I know what you mean Fundi, if they're good they're busy. After the terrible time I had with the local little book and Checkatrader I thought I would try locally on the neighbourhood website where people could recommend. Out of about 6 only 1 so far has quoted and that's not particularly good!!

At present I'm trying Rated people, bookabuilder and trustatrader. Not sure if I have the faith tbh but don't know what else to do. 7 years this has gone on for thanks to my ex who thought he could do improvements but the only improvement was using the door :D:D

6. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Unfortunately those other sites are probably as bad as checkatrader, word of mouth is the best route

just pumps, Astramax and Muzungu like this.
  7. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Just off topic a bit. What's this with being a "super member" rather than "select". Is this a promotion or demotion?

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I was demoted and banned for 4 months last year for an infringement of Screwfix rules. :confused:

9. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Thought I had missed you for a time. Glad you decided to come back; quite a few other really experienced trades haven't bothered which is a miss.

Astramax likes this.
  10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Cheers. :)

11. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Super member sounds a lot better, and who knows you might have super member

Jord86 likes this.
  12. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

That's another trade, if one can call it that, which beckons.

Sparkielev likes this.
  13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

IMG-20220107-WA0000.jpg

Jord86 and Sparkielev like this.