Finish on Pine

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by dewaltdisney, Dec 18, 2003.

1. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

I just cannot seem to get a satisfactory finish on jobs made of pine. I have tried a number of combinations but none of them seem to get that deep lustre you see on factory finishes.

Any help appreciated

DWD

2. nigel

nigel Guest

You can apply clear furniture wax on top of any varnish and buff for a nice shine.

3. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle New Member

I found ronseal (if thats how it's spelt) clear satin varnish is good.
    I put about 3 or 4 coats on, snading down between each with a fine grit.
    Then the very last coat I use good quality kitchen roll rather than a brush to apply the varnish!
    It's the way my CDT teach taught me many years ago!
    Cheers Mr Gillroy!
    Depends on your taste though, I hate glossy finishes, doesn't look natural.

4. Dewy

Dewy New Member

I suppose it depends on what kind of look you want.
    Personally, I dye the wood 1st with a water based dye (so it doesnt get removed by the solvents in any varnish or polish) then apply 2-3 coats of danish oil & use fine wet/dry paper to rub the last coat in & de-nib then use a good quality beeswax polish. I dont use polyeurethane ( although it gives a hard finish) as I want the wood to age & poly seals the air out.
    Look on your apprentices website at your USA holiday home & see what he uses to compliment the check shirts.
    ;)

5. Pugley

Pugley Member

CB this is a warning from a fellow addict. You have blasphemed and used the V-A-R-N-I-S-H word on the carpenters site!

I would change your name, have plastic surgery and move to another continent if you dont wish to meet with with an oily end.

I take my PU in private now and dont buy it from dealers in case I am followed home - take care.

6. WOLF

WOLF New Member

DID SOMEONE MENTION VARNISH!!!!!!!!!!!HANG THEM UP>>>NOW!!!and any way people, most "pine" is actually a cheap spruce these days, especially as most people don't know the difference....which is why trouble is had putting a decent finish on the stuff!!!!!!!!!

7. woodsmith

woodsmith New Member

This may sound over the top but I usually french polish pine. It is a skill but try it on a piece of scrap you may be surprised!! Sorry Wolf I used the F-word ;)

8. bilco

bilco New Member

I use 120grit on a random orbit then hand sand dry with 800 wet n dry paper (it shines) then a quick brush on n wipe off with Sadlin classic (colour to suit) then finish several days on with wax...puts your manued stuff in the shade.

9. Charlie Far!ey

Charlie Far!ey New Member

10. WOLF

WOLF New Member

it's alright woodsmith i will forgive ya fella!!! however... i am going to be really -really -really cruel to all of those of you out there, in timber-land!!!!!
    french polish....2 words... both complete and utter lies...firstly it's not french, and secondly... it's not a polish!!!!!! HA! HA! HA! HA!!.........there ..totally wrecked your day have i not!!!!! i will tell you all why it's all a sham later... or may be i won't!!!!

11. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle New Member

Sorry guys, I didn't realise that was such a taboo item!
    I'll consider my self reprimanded!
    I'll stick to what I know best!

12. Dewy

Dewy New Member

French polish?
    I remember my father telling me about figure 8s & building it up layer upon layer. He had been taught by his father. Hour after hour of work that looked good but gave little real protection. In those days pine was always painted.
    I inherited a pine chest of drawers that my grandfather (a cabinet maker) built in the early 1920s when my father was born. My father had it all his life. One day I hope to strip the 80 years of paint layers off.

13. graybags

graybags New Member

MDF rules , so says Handy Andy, and we all know he knows best !!

14. bodget&scarpers

bodget&scarpers New Member

er, frog polish,button polish,chellack(**** am pisd)might sound funny but often use boot polish! one would b suprised at the effects