Fire cement application

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Jay459, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Jay459

Jay459 Member

Any good videos on fire cement application, ive used rubber gloves and my fingers to apply it. Seemsnto dry too quickly and just starts flaking off.

Maybe thats why we always have a smell of the stove in the living room. Smoke alarm and carbon monoxide above so no issues.

Maybe the fire cement in the cartridge guns would be easier applied?

2. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

When I did mine I used nitrile gloves. Applied the cement and then rubbed it over with a wet gloved finger. This helped to push it tightly into the seam and smooth the surface over nicely.

3. Jay459

Jay459 Member

Cartridge or tub?

4. Madeofale

Madeofale Active Member

when your fire is going you shouldnt get any smoke from any gaps as the updraft will be pulling air in through the gaps, is your flue clean? nothing blocking the stack at the top? i changed my cap to a spinner last year which has been great for aiding with the updraft and also cause its always spinning and dome shapped birds cant sit on it or seaguls cant nest on it over summer when the fires not in use

5. Jay459

Jay459 Member

There is no smoke, no.

But its a decent burner, charnwood country 6. We were told when we bought it some smell is normal but thst was 4 years ago.

Need to get more fire cement anyway as whata left in the tub is very hard.

6. Madeofale

Madeofale Active Member

looks like a multi fuel burner, so if your burning wood you want your bottom vents closed cause wood burns with oxygen from above and coal burns mainly from oxygen below, so if your burning wood with the top vent shut then you might be getting smoke coming out the bottom vents, for burning wood close the bottom vents and control the burn with the top vents

7. Madeofale

Madeofale Active Member

where is the cement for btw, cant think where it would be needed

8. Jay459

Jay459 Member

Around the flue pipe where it enters the stove

9. Red Star Boats

Red Star Boats Active Member

Sounds like you need fresh cement, it should push into the gap quite easily and be smoothed off with a wet finger. I would investigate the source of the smell further, who told you it was normal? The only time I’ve known properly operating stoves to leave a smell in the room is the first few times they are used and solvent residue from the manufacture and painting burn off, also obviously after repainting.