Fire Checking under stairs

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by baracus, Dec 17, 2018.

1. baracus

baracus Member

Hello,

I have made a cupboard with a door made under my stairs, the building inspector says I should make it fire safe by plaster boarding and skimming.

The staircase has a few turns and it is impossible to board it in the traditional way ( ie one piece of board stretching over several steps), the only way I could board it up would be to effectively clad the underside of each step and riser. Would this still be skimmable or is than alternative you could suggest?

2. Wire mesh the turns,then use bonding,once you have the shape and thickness built up,skim it.

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

It would be possible yes, you'd have to fix timber to the treads and risers to clear the glue blocks but it can be done. However an easier way would be to build a bulkhead underneath the winder treads allowing enough room to fit items in there ie vacuum cleaner, shoes, etc and then plasterboard that instead. Post up a few pics to see what can be done.