Fire doors and building control..

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by John Bunyan, Jan 8, 2022.

1. John Bunyan

John Bunyan Active Member

Fitting some 35mm thick fire doors in an air b and b. The instruction leaflet on the door says, amongst other things the following..
    1. nothing off the top
    2. 4 inch hinges
    3. There are fire pads to cut and place either side of locks and latches.
    Is the bc really going to look at these things? The casings are existing so the tops will need fitting.
    I've also planted on redwood to each long edge of these doors to make them fit the odd size casings.

2. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

You need to talk to your BC about what their advice would be.

John Bunyan likes this.
  3. John Bunyan

Ok thanks. A while back bc said just 3 hinges and with these doors being 35mm thick I presumed 75mm but just seen the leaflet in door and it said 3x 100mm. So I either need slim knuckle 100mm (ordered online) or risk voiding guarantee and use 75mm of bc is ok with that. I've never really spoke to bc, what's the procedure so you just ring them?

4. John Bunyan

I've planted up to an inch of softwood on sides of these doors and will need to fit heads so the guarantee is probably void anyway.

5. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Is this work for you or someone else John? I'd be more concerned about the effectiveness of the fire protection than the warranty. I don't see the point in circumventing the installation instructions on a safety device.

John Bunyan likes this.
  6. John Bunyan

Willy, it's for a customer, they converting a semi into an air b and b and it's had a loft conversion and has three floors now so I'm guessing that's why it needs fire doors. Bear in mind I'm using existing casings so doors are only 35mm so will need to order slim knuckle 100mm hinges. I just didn't want to go over board with 100mm and have to order online but I don't mind if it's better to.

7. WillyEckerslike

You seem like a nice bloke John so this might cause offence but please take it in the spirit it's intended.

STOP!

You need to start again which will mean some expense and probably delay. You either need to get doors made to size or that you can reduce within manufacturers' tolerances and the doors need to be installed per the instructions. Failing that you could change the casings to match off the shelf doors.

I hope this has arisen out of naivety and not due to pressure from your clients. If it is, I think I'd be walking.

Good luck sorting this - not an easy position to be in I'm afraid.

John Bunyan likes this.
  8. John Bunyan

I've decided to use 100mm. Found some at screwfix that are 67mm wide as apposed to 75. They are washered rather than ball bearing but they should be fine

9. John Bunyan

Thanks Willy, I understand where your coming from. It's probably a bit of both to be honest. In hindsight new casings should have gone in. I'm not reducing the doors but planting on. Surely the bc wouldn't say they are no longer to FD20 standards? (That's what he required). Under what circumstances would we need the manufacturer to honor the guarantee?
    I'm still putting smoke seals in.

10. John Bunyan

Just an update.. Customer asked bc if it's ok to plant on softwood on the doors and he said yes. Some plant ons were an inch. Took more off the height of some doors than the instructions said. BC hardly looked at them when signing off. Big relief. Thanks all. Do you think bc will come back and pull it?... Willyeckerslike! :)

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  11. WillyEckerslike

That's great news John. I'm really pleased it worked out and thanks for the update.

John Bunyan likes this.