Fire doors

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Chekhov, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Chekhov

Chekhov Member

Is there such a thing as an internal dimension fire door ie 32mm thick or are they all 45mm? I've been asked to replace all the internal doors by a landlord who rents his property to students. Also, do they have to have a spring closing mechanism ie "perko" or alternative hydraulic closer? Furthermore is an intumescent strip required for this sort of situation?

2. CRS - Ross

CRS - Ross New Member

I think...
    usual thickness is 44mm for an FD30 - half hour rated door; thicker door for FD60, can't really see there being a thinner fire door, it'd only last a few minutes.
    All fire doors have to have autoclosers and yes intumescent strip needed

Hope it helps,
    Ross

3. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

im doing this today. In my area they only require a 20min fire door which is a fd30 in an exsising frame. But i find it easier to replace the frame whith a fire checklining and hang it in there. if you decide to use exsisting frames you will have to rout them out to a depth of 45mm to accepf the 44mm door and rout the intermesant strip into the door but you can only use the exsisting frames if they require 20min fire resistance. As for the closers just use an overhead closer as they are only £14 in howdens and the door dont slam like with perk closers

4. chip off the block

is this for university certification

5. Chekhov

Chekhov Member

I'm not sure which certification is required. Either his for insurance purposes or the university for their's. How do I stand in relation to both? Could I be held liable if I don't complete the job to either codes of conduct? I have public liabilty insurance. Would that cover me? Btw thanks for the advice. I had reckoned that the frames might have to routed to accommodate the extra thickness of the fire doors. The point being; is it my part to take responsibility for the regulations or the person who owns the property or do I just put a "disclaimer" in the estimate?

6. chip off the block

go fr full refit. new frame, door intermesant strips etc then you are covered. i sometime get away with less because i have been told buy the uni what is required and it is only 20min fire resistance whic is fd30 in regular frame but i still change 75% of them now as it is so messy. Where abouts is it?

7. Chekhov

Chekhov Member

Newcastle Upon Tyne

8. Chekhov

Chekhov Member

Ok I've finally worked out that there is no such thing as an internal fire door (ie one that is 32mm thick).So the plan is to router and plane the rebates. Router the doors for the intumescent strip and fit a closer either perko or hydraulic. Given that all the doors will need to be "trimmed" to fit I reckon on estimating about £200 per door including: 1: the door 2: the ironmongery 3:labour. Does this sound about right? I know posts about pricing are a bit tedious but as Audi-evo mentioned on a recent post about skirting, on the one hand someone nearly yanked his arm off and another looked at him as if he'd walked in with dog **** on his shoes!

9. chip off the block

just done 5 houses full and i charged 200=250 per door dependant on th situation. i probly replaced half the frames because they were so far out.I used 6 panel firedoors and over head closers as the perko 1s slam the doors and struggle on some doors unless you buy the hydrolic perko closers which cost a small fortune. <ake sure putting fire doors into exsisting frames in your area is ok before starting