Fire doors

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by John Bunyan, Aug 27, 2021.

1. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

That was my thinking however I had to fit 15mm in some doors I hung in an HMO once.

John Bunyan likes this.
  2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Ummmmm, yes, because they were new doors Willy :D 10mm is used when routing out strips into existing doors or replacing the previous worn strips. If I'm wrong I'll buy you a beer.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  3. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I had to rout them out. The doors were made to measure - none of them anywhere near a standard size - and I fitted the strips once I had finished shooting them in. 15mm was specified by whoever had advised my client. I also had to extend the rebates on the casings as I recall.

Edit. It was a while back and they might have been 10mm but I'm pretty sure they were 15 which is why it stuck. There goes another night's sleep...

Edit 2. Whether I'm right or wrong I believe I owe you a pint (or maybe it was a fiver) and I'm teetotal anyway. It's been a long day...

Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
    Jord86 likes this.
  4. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Well-Known Member

Lads -just go with an average 12.5mm and we're all golden. Happy days.

5. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Well-Known Member

That's because typical HMO occupants set fire to the buildings every week on average, Willy.

And mine's a 'Kwak' if you're buying, Jord. Belgium's finest, 8.4% ABV, and like angels kissing your tongue.