Fire in work place

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Gadget123, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Gadget123

Gadget123 New Member

Not sure if this is the place to ask but maybe someone knows about buildings. The retail store I work in went on fire in warehouse they wanted to open in 5 days but not been able to. They made staff clean shelves and stock with no PPE. Stock has soot on it. You would think insurance would cover it? Full refit maybe? Another shop near me was closed for a year due to a similar issue. I know smoke damage catches on to fabric of a building and I have refused to work there on health grounds. The staff said the smoke smell makes them feel sick can they really open without a full refit?

2. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

For a sizeable fire, you'd have thought that it would need to be inspected by an engineer to ensure it was safe.

3. Gadget123

Gadget123 New Member

Needs new roof, rewired and some side panels replaced.

4. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Section 2 of the Health and Safety at Work act requires they take reasonable care of their employees.

I would expect as a minimum, to see detailed risk assessments based around the cleaning to identify the hazards and protective measures required. These should be accompnaied by method statements, detailing how the cleaning should be carried out and what equipment should be used to minimise the risk of explosion through airborne dust.

Without these as a minimum I would suggest they are on sticky ground.

5. Gadget123

Gadget123 New Member

I was ordered into the shop 2 days after fire given a feather duster and told to wipe stuff down. I refused so they put me in another shop but I am trying to figure out how I can move permanently now as I am not keen to go back as it won’t be having a full shop floor refurb so the fire smell may stay..

6. Gadget123

Gadget123 New Member

So if they clean the warehouse but not shop floor is the building safe? I have heard horror stories of asthma and cancer from smoke or shops smelling of smoke without a full refit on the shop floor? I am in two minds if I should stay or go?

7. Gadget123

Gadget123 New Member

Update

They can’t get smell of smoke out shop coming up toilets hence why needs refit

secondly the other store is messing my contract putting me in extra day any tips?

8. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

I can only suggest you speak with your local fire brigade and get their professional opinion as to the risks involved.

9. Gadget123

Gadget123 New Member

I heard they have been cleaning it so will the building be safe after the fire? It cleaned up is smoke damage fine if removed or is the building forever a health hazard?