Fire protected oil tanks

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by Peter Alderson, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Hi
    Has anyone has had any experience of these. I'm planning to replace my old steel oil tank next spring as its showing signs of blistering in a couple of localised spots underneath, and it's probably rusty inside at the bottom. Though its not leaking I guess its impossible to predict how long it will last.
    The current tank location doesn't meet the regs, but its not really practical or desirable to move it away from the house to comply, so I was considering having a Tuffa tank, fire protected and bunded tank fitted in the same location.

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

You would still have to fully comply with new regs!

3. Part J of the regs state that if the tank is less than 1800mm from the building and eaves and /or less than 760 mm from a boundary then it either needs to be separated by a 30 minute fire wall, or the building wall and eaves need to have a 30 minute fire rating. Tuffa claim that their tank complies with the regs because it incorporates the 30 minute fire protection within the tank assembly making additional fire protection unnecessary. I just wondered if anyone had ever fitted one or had any problems.

Thanks,

4. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

No I don't know much about oil tanks I just know what I stated above.