Fire Rated 12v Downlights, Or Ordinary 12v Downlights

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by J.P., Aug 2, 2013.

  1. J.P.

    J.P. New Member

    Evening ladies and gentlemen..:) Right I am going to purchase 12v downlights (12 in total) and was wondering is it better to buy fire rated or just the ordianary ones) there is no need for fire rated downlights in my extension but was wondering if generally they are better then the ordinary type. Thanks.
  2. sinewave

    sinewave Screwfix Select

    Of course they are 'better' JP!

    JCC LED 7's are the way forward! 
  3. J.P.

    J.P. New Member

    Cheers Sine. I remember you saying about the JCC gear some time back and I did check up on them. Lovely stuff but alas funds at present do not permit me to buy . Anyway I will buy the fire rated downlights -  I thought they might be better but wasn't 100% sure so now all hunky dory.
  4. wally

    wally Screwfix Select

    Did,nt think anyone used the 12v ones now JP, might be wrong, GU10 is the way to go then so many LED lamps to choose from.    I use fire rated ones as standard nowadays.
  5. J.P.

    J.P. New Member

    Thanks Wally. Yes I will get the fire rated GU10- Dont know why I was thinking of the 12v ones - bit knackered I spose. Have a good evening Wal.
  6. Lectrician

    Lectrician Screwfix Select


    If you don't need fire rated - down fit em.  They are renown for lamps failing early, lamp holders burning out etc.  The heat can't get away.  You are meant to use "heat forward" lamps in them, but even with those there are still problems.
  7. J.P.

    J.P. New Member

  8. J.P.

    J.P. New Member

    Oh right 56mm - didnt read the bottom bit. When I go to my local Screwfix will tell them I want 12, so its the ten deal plus I hope a deal on the extra 2..:)
  9. J.P.

    J.P. New Member

    Colindale branch Screwfix Peter so please make sure I get the extra two for nowt -  or divided by ten price..thanks..:)

    Not being tight but flipping heck
  10. Lokkars Daisy

    Lokkars Daisy New Member

    You must have asked this or very similar dozens of times JP, is it a one man battle to keep this forum going.

    Forget the fire type if not needed.
    Buy inexpensive open type with GU10 holder (ditch the clumsy connector bracket if supplied)
    Buy inexpensive 4W +  led lamps
    Cut 150mm of 150mmD plastic ducting
    Glue the ducting to plasterboard above downlight
    You can now safely lay the fibreglass insulation over the ducting
    You might drill a few holes around lower half of ducting for increases ventilation

    I considered the complete version as suggested by Sinedoll, but as noted they are very expensive for much the same thing, and importantly if they have been installed for a client and one fails , then one is obliged to return and replace the fitting,(time and money down the drain) however should the led lamp type fail then it's just a case of ' fit a new lamp missus'
  11. J.P.

    J.P. New Member

    Hi LD and cheers m8. No fiberglass insulation required - please see view inside


    I have 12 lights to cable up and envisage using Ashley J501's to maintain regulation regarding cable strain..
  12. Lectrician

    Lectrician Screwfix Select

    And I thought you were going to tack some batten in to support the celotex JP.  Ooooh.

    Those LAP downlights are quite budget JP.  Invest in some LED 7's - 10yr domestic guarantee.  Can't go wrong.  Cool white and warm white.  Perfeck.
  13. J.P.

    J.P. New Member

    The Celotex is ok Lec - fair nuff could have whipped some quadrant and stuff. No what I will do is buy the cheapies (found ten packs cheaper elsewhere - a tad below 19 sovs..;)) and then when funds permit buy some good Led 7's. cheers Lec.
  14. FatHands

    FatHands Well-Known Member


    Are you referring to this stuff for the downlight protector?

  15. Lokkars Daisy

    Lokkars Daisy New Member

    No , I'm refering to rigid ducting . The stuff I used was white plastic ventilation ducting, any rigid ducting will do, even plant pots etc. Ofcourse if you are using halogen lamps and not LEDs then you would be better to allow more area for ventilation. These ventilation areas are required regardless of whether a fire rated canister type light fitting is or is not employed
  16. seneca

    seneca Screwfix Select

    Earthenware or similar material plantpots are one of the best things i've seen for this purpose.
  17. FatHands

    FatHands Well-Known Member


    Ah OK, so i should be OK to use left over 110mm Soil pipe then? Say, 4, 15mm holes in the bottom part of the pipe OK for air flow and then rockwool is OK to go around and pipe but not on top yeah?

    thanks for posting back.

  18. Lokkars Daisy

    Lokkars Daisy New Member

    Yeah that sounds about right to my thinking, but if you are using led lamps then it will be ok to lay the insulation over the pipe, better to lay it over the pipe to limit heat loss . The 150mm by 150mm pipe will still allow sufficient ventilation for the led lamp ( the led lamps do not get particulary hot but covering them directly would have an adverse affect on the life of the lamp)
  19. FatHands

    FatHands Well-Known Member

    Excellent, thanks for the help on this, appreciated.

  20. retiredsparks

    retiredsparks Super Member

    Under which circumstances would you ..not...need to use firerated downlight in domestic settings ?

Share This Page