Fire rated door question

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by LS14Dan, Mar 25, 2020.

1. LS14Dan

LS14Dan New Member

I'm going to be putting some new flooring in and have some complicated door frame areas that would be much easier to do (and look better) if I can undercut. My question is, is it possible to undercut the frame for a fire rated door or would this make it unrated?

Cheers
    Dan

2. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

Most likely derated as you’ll have to cut a similar amount off the door, but you need to check the manufacturers guidelines and tolerances for cutting and planing the door. It’s important to be realistic about things though, as long as the gaps around the door are 2-3mm and roughly 6-9mm at the bottom the door will perform as designed to, if it has to.

The major surgery alternative is to remove architrave, unscrew or dig out the nails fixing the door lining in place and lift the whole unit up as one provided you have clearance at the head, fit your flooring then refit the lining/door back in place.

LS14Dan likes this.
  3. blarblarblarblar

blarblarblarblar Active Member

It’s highly unlikely to have any effect on its rating, if I’ve read it right, you will still be filling the gap you are cutting away. Different story for the sides and top....

LS14Dan likes this.