Fire sealing

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Jako202196, Nov 26, 2021.

  1. Jako202196

    Jako202196 New Member

    Hi guys can someone shed the light on this topic there’s so much misleading info on the internet. Can I mount a consumer unit on plywood and do the cable entries have to be fire sealed? Also what other circumstances in a dwelling is a fire barrier needed?
  2. Bazza

    Bazza Screwfix Select

    Yes, of course

    If you puncture an existing fire barrier (eg cutting a hole for a downlights in a ceiling that is a fire barrier) then the downlights fitted must be fire-rated to maintain the fire barrier.
    or if you need to bore an aperture through a fire barrier/compartment then you’ll need to find a method of maintaining the integrity of the compartment. Could be an intumescent seal, or fire foam, etc.
    Jako202196 and seneca like this.
  3. Jako202196

    Jako202196 New Member

    Thanks guys what do we class as a fire barrier in a house a room bellow a bedroom so fit fire rated down-lighters but what else?
  4. Bazza

    Bazza Screwfix Select

    A fire compartment will typically be walls snd ceilings etc between separate dwellings/flats/apartments in a building.

    The only place you’ll find one in a standard house would be the ceiling of an integrated garage.

    There is no regulation for the ceiling of a domestic kitchen to be a fire barrier. Irrespective of the room type above. Nor is there a requirement to fit fire-rated downlights in a kitchen ceiling. Most kitchens have single sheet plasterboard offering only 30minutes fire resistance. Enough to escape, nothing more.

    Fire spread from downstairs to upstairs is usually through that great big fire conveyor called the stairwell.
  5. Jako202196

    Jako202196 New Member

    Thanks bazza so In domestic dwellings if you’re a detached house am I correct in thinking the only place that would require sealing would be the garage situation?
  6. The Happy Builder

    The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

    Of course sealing is required as appropriate throughout a domestic dwelling.
  7. Jako202196

    Jako202196 New Member

    I mean fire sealing you wouldn’t seal where a cable enters another room through a wall would you?
  8. Bazza

    Bazza Screwfix Select

    Unless the wall that you have punctured is a fire barrier. That does not occur in a single domestic dwelling.
    Usually only between separate fire compartments and that would normally be something like walls and ceilings between flats/apartments.
    Jako202196 likes this.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice