Fire surround

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Welshmally, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Welshmally

Welshmally New Member

What's the best stuff for sticking a marble fire surround onto the wall (inset fire)? The bottom will rest on the hearth. And should the box be lagged with anything?
    Ta
    WM

2. wetnec

wetnec New Member

Marble Glue?

3. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Usually there are lugs or brackets which screw it back and which you then fill in to hide them

4. The hearth must be bed and levelled on sand & cement, once set, spread a bed of tile adhesive on the wall for the back panel.

I don't think a firebox req's to be lagged.

5. mad.max

mad.max New Member

spread a bed of tile adhesive on the wall
    for the back panel.

I don't think a firebox req's to be lagged.

WM, are you fitting this yourself? With respect I hear alarm bells.

DON'T spread thin bed for back panel. You will leave a gap between surround and panel. Major and regular amateur mistake.

Odly, some fires years ago wanted lagging but not usually now

I feel disinclined to give to many clues, without knowing the level of experience and quals. of fitter

6. Welshmally

Welshmally New Member

Be still, those alarm bells!!

I only asked because we had it fitted a couple of years ago, and it came loose. We called the company who fitted it, and they came round to inspect. The lad (who was not the one who put it in, and has subsequently provided a very good sevice) had the good grace to admit that it was a "really $h!t job". Stuck on with sealant, one side had no wall to bed against. Small wonder it came off!

The company owners are not best pleased and interestingly have got rid of the original fitter. As a local company with a showroom, they clearly need to keep their reputation intact, so will be sorting it FOC.

Pays to go local, dunnit?

I'll keep you informed.
    WM

7. mad.max

mad.max New Member

Ok, mally. Hope I didn't offend you, but I think you know where I was coming from. Different mantles demand different solutions, but I always have a "positive" fix, while avoiding visible brackets where possible. U try to avoid even having to plaster over them, its almost impossible to fully hide.

Having said that, wallpaper is making a comeback!

8. Welshmally

Welshmally New Member

None taken, Max :)

After 2 years of trawling through this forum, I know what NOT to do! I know my limitations, and this sort of job is definitely for the pro's!
    WM