Fireplace hearth infilling advice

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Potteriow, Oct 24, 2022.

1. Potteriow

Potteriow New Member

I have just moved into a house with a broken hearth where it appeared that the concrete cracked due to an underlying void. I have broken out the part where it collapsed and intend to remove the remaining tiles, level the area off and then re-tile. Please can anyone advise on the best way to fill this small void and level the area for tiling? I was planning on cleaning it up and then using self levelling compound, but not sure if this would be the best approach. It currently has dirt / stones in the base and am unsure if you can use the compound on this kind of surface

Attached Files:

2. qwas123

qwas123 Screwfix Select

Your hearth is built on an in-fill of rubble and soil inside a brick fender wall - the wall probably has timber wall plates on three sides. The floorboards are nailed to the fender wall plates.

Dig out to say 100mm below the fender wall plates - lay a sheet of plastic or membrane, shape it like a bag and fill it with concrete up to whatever height you need.
    The membrane acts as a DPC.
    If any of the fender wall plates are rotten (probe them) come back here.

FWIW: there's no flue vent in the front of the chimney breast - before abandoning and blocking off flues the flue should be swept, and a correct terminal fixed on the chimney stack.
    The plaster on your chimney breast is showing signs of possible chemical or damp contamination.

3. Potteriow

Potteriow New Member

Thank you for your reply! That sounds like a good plan and will go for that approach, I thought there might be some slate acting as a damp course underneath the soil but haven’t proven this, so wouldn’t hurt to use a membrane! Will expose the other wall plates to check but the one at the base seems in decent condition.

There is a flue vent in the chimney breast but it’s slightly above the area pictured. The breasts were picked up on our survey as potentially being damp but we got someone in to look at it and they didn’t seem to think the moisture levels were high, so hopefully we are ok on that front. We had just finished painting this before the picture so not sure if that impacts…

4. qwas123

qwas123 Screwfix Select

As I mentioned above - I can actually see a disturbed area on the decorated chimney breast surface - what sometimes happens is soot and debris congregate in a heap at the base of the flue & assist chemical penetration, which often looks damp like.
    Unswept flues, & flues with moisture penetrating down from the stack will also show damp looking signs.

5. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Probably salts coming through.

6. Potteriow

Potteriow New Member

Thanks both - I can see the area in question now - will get someone to take a look at the breast and go from there, appreciate the heads up!