Fireplace in bedroom needs blocking.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by abiyork, Sep 17, 2012.

1. abiyork

abiyork New Member

Hi all,

Live in a Victorian terrace which still has one of these on the bedroom

http://sites.salvoweb.com/images/userimgs/23496/41781_1.jpg

Its offset (not central) on the chimney stack. It's on the right third so assuming the flue heads up then moves left to join the main flue.

I need to block this off in the bedroom as the cold air from outside gets into the room. Last year I nailed a towel over it and it moved like a lung!

Can anyone see a problem with expanding foam? Or recommend anything else?

Cheers.

2. I take it you don't want to remove it? Phew, 'cos it's nice.

Some of these Viccie fire places actually have a cast flap in the flue exit - if you look up the flue and it has a - hmm, trying to remember - I think a 'D'-shaped hole, then it might be this flap is missing. (It sits above, and you just push it up and it hinges backwards to allow you to use the fire. Then, when not wanted, you pull it down to close off the flue.) If it's meant to have one, then you'd just need to track one down. Mind you, if it's designed for one - with a flat edge on the hole, then you could make a flap out of ply or painted MDF or summat to do the job. It would have to be heavy - or tied down - to stop it flapping about, tho'...

Failing that, I'd suggest you'd want a temporary - removable - solution, and expanding foam certainly ain't it. Also, any solution should still allow a trickle of air to pass through so's to keep the flue vented and dry.

There must be proper solutions out there - inflatable bags, or summat; have you tried a surf? But something like a strong bin bag filled with something soft and compactable - foam, lightly-scrunched up newspapers, etc. and stuffed up the flue (with an accessible cord tied to the closed end of the bag so's you can get it back...) would seal off 90-odd % I'd have thought. It shouldn't be 100% sealed, especially in winter.

3. drjamesr

drjamesr New Member

The traditional method is to get abroad sheet newspaper and crumple up the pages into big balls and shove them up until the flue is full.  Paper has the advantage of readily drying out if it gets damp over the winter.  Obviously this won't allow the fire to be used, and might comprise a fire risk if someone did try to light one, but any unused flue should be swept prior to re use anyway.  Expanding foam won't allow the flue to breathe.  Capping the chimney may help cut down draughts, and is a 10 second job to insert a ventiator that keeps rain out but allows some air to flow, but only once you are up on the roof and can get to the chimney pot!

4. Why does it have to be a foreign newspaper?

Anyways, I can see them paper balls being sucked up t'flue and - hopefully - being deposited in the street. Or else getting stuck half way up...

Safer, I think, to have them in a bin bag.