Fireplace Project

Discussion in 'Project Photos' started by Jitender, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

This is an old picture of the origanl gas fire whcih housed the back boler behind.
    upload_2019-10-7_20-24-35.png

Gas fire and back boiler was removed and replaced with a combi a few years ago.
    upload_2019-10-7_20-25-33.png

So I've had this set up for a few years. i made the black infill myself, fitted and air vent and also a black single socket which could have powered and electric fire. Socket is hard too see.
    upload_2019-10-7_20-26-22.png

Won a gas stove a few weeks back and now in the middle of renovating the whole flat.

Today I opened up the brickwork. A fireplace shop I visited said an opening of 36" square was OK. Won't be able to achieve this in width, as downstairs maisonette shares the chimney.
    upload_2019-10-7_20-30-10.png

Used a large disc cutter to cut the bricks down. The brick that have been removed are going to be reinsted tommorw as they were very loose.
    upload_2019-10-7_20-32-54.png

This is something I am trying to recreate. i like the idea of a a mantel to store ornaments on.

[​IMG]

Another idea I have is to install a single leaf lintel with a soldier row of bricks, which protrudes past the plaster.

JustPhil and KIAB like this.
  2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

So the plan is to fit a gas fire in the opening ? If so will it require a flue ?

Have you taken the lintel out which is why the acro is in there ?

The wooden mantel piece effect can be achieved by surface mounting some timber to the chimney breast. The last one I did I used mirror fixing brackets to the back of the timber and just hooked it on the wall.

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I have just fitted the flue today, complete with the cowl.

I will try and get some pictures uploaded this week.

The council are re-roofing the maisonette, so I am making use of the scaffold :D

This is what I bought off ebay, its a gas stove

[​IMG]

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Cleaned out the flue today as well, about a buckets worth of soot came down. Going to sort out the brickwork tomorrow, the accro is there as a temporary measure.

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Thanks. I think I am looking at going the surface mounted timber beam, I will get this fixed to the wall then plaster upto it to create the look. i will be having the room skimmed eventually.

The old lintel was removed, and there was a huge piece of concrete which created the chimney hood?

This may take a while to get done, as there is loads of work here.

Only did this now as I had access to the roof via the scaffolding.

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Before

Picture taken from scaffold heigh showing stack. The aluminum cowl is my chimney. The neighbors below dont have a fuel fire just an electric, they just have the terracotta gas cowl fitted.

upload_2019-10-8_21-56-59.png

Close up picture of the chimney. A clear bead of silicon e has been run around the terracotta cowl, and gaps evident which letting in rain.

My gas cowl needs re-bedding with mortar and in a bad shape :(
    upload_2019-10-8_21-55-54.png

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Some updated photos

New 300mm terracotta clay chimney pot installed with stainless steel cowl.
    upload_2019-10-21_17-46-3.png

Close up view, pressure wahsed the whole area.
    upload_2019-10-21_17-46-23.png

upload_2019-10-21_17-46-34.png

New 5" liner routed down chimney pot. Had a friend pulling it through the other end.
    upload_2019-10-21_17-48-58.png

KIAB likes this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Bet you had some strange looks jet washing the crown/flaunching.:)

haigie likes this.
  9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I ended up re-pointing my own chimney stack, as roofers didn't do a good job on the other stack.

Pressure washed it down in early morning so wouldn't be seen.:cool:

10. enc

enc Active Member

Looking good !

KIAB likes this.
  11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Not much done, since.

Have put in a lintel.

Need to reinstate the bricks.

will post some pictures at the wkd.

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Concrete lintel with 100mm bearing on each side.

upload_2020-1-6_19-1-12.png

Brickwork now complete. Don't know what happend :rolleyes:, tried to get the bonding right but messed up. Gong to be plastered so won't see.
    upload_2020-1-6_19-2-43.png

13. enc

enc Active Member

Get any further with this?

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Nothings been done, flat has been empty now for a few months.