Fireplace Project

Discussion in 'Project Photos' started by Jitender, Oct 7, 2019.

  1. Jitender

    Jitender Well-Known Member

    This is an old picture of the origanl gas fire whcih housed the back boler behind.
    upload_2019-10-7_20-24-35.png

    Gas fire and back boiler was removed and replaced with a combi a few years ago.
    upload_2019-10-7_20-25-33.png

    So I've had this set up for a few years. i made the black infill myself, fitted and air vent and also a black single socket which could have powered and electric fire. Socket is hard too see.
    upload_2019-10-7_20-26-22.png

    Won a gas stove a few weeks back and now in the middle of renovating the whole flat.

    Today I opened up the brickwork. A fireplace shop I visited said an opening of 36" square was OK. Won't be able to achieve this in width, as downstairs maisonette shares the chimney.
    upload_2019-10-7_20-30-10.png

    Used a large disc cutter to cut the bricks down. The brick that have been removed are going to be reinsted tommorw as they were very loose.
    upload_2019-10-7_20-32-54.png

    This is something I am trying to recreate. i like the idea of a a mantel to store ornaments on.

    [​IMG]

    Another idea I have is to install a single leaf lintel with a soldier row of bricks, which protrudes past the plaster.
     
    JustPhil and KIAB like this.
  2. sospan

    sospan Well-Known Member

    So the plan is to fit a gas fire in the opening ? If so will it require a flue ?

    Have you taken the lintel out which is why the acro is in there ?

    The wooden mantel piece effect can be achieved by surface mounting some timber to the chimney breast. The last one I did I used mirror fixing brackets to the back of the timber and just hooked it on the wall.
     
  3. Jitender

    Jitender Well-Known Member

    I have just fitted the flue today, complete with the cowl.

    I will try and get some pictures uploaded this week.

    The council are re-roofing the maisonette, so I am making use of the scaffold :D

    This is what I bought off ebay, its a gas stove

    [​IMG]
     
  4. Jitender

    Jitender Well-Known Member

    Cleaned out the flue today as well, about a buckets worth of soot came down. Going to sort out the brickwork tomorrow, the accro is there as a temporary measure.
     
  5. Jitender

    Jitender Well-Known Member

    Thanks. I think I am looking at going the surface mounted timber beam, I will get this fixed to the wall then plaster upto it to create the look. i will be having the room skimmed eventually.

    The old lintel was removed, and there was a huge piece of concrete which created the chimney hood?

    This may take a while to get done, as there is loads of work here.

    Only did this now as I had access to the roof via the scaffolding.
     
  6. Jitender

    Jitender Well-Known Member

    Before

    Picture taken from scaffold heigh showing stack. The aluminum cowl is my chimney. The neighbors below dont have a fuel fire just an electric, they just have the terracotta gas cowl fitted.

    upload_2019-10-8_21-56-59.png

    Close up picture of the chimney. A clear bead of silicon e has been run around the terracotta cowl, and gaps evident which letting in rain.

    My gas cowl needs re-bedding with mortar and in a bad shape :(
    upload_2019-10-8_21-55-54.png
     

Share This Page