Fireplace replacement

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by DIYeagle22, Jan 13, 2022.

1. DIYeagle22

DIYeagle22 New Member

Hi, I am DIY enthusiast and for this particular project I have decided to get myself registered on a forum before going any further. I have an electric fire and laminated wood surround, pretty basic model. What I would like to replace it with will be a little more substantial, limestone fire surround and hearth weighing around 250kg. Herein is where I require advice before even considering purchasing. My lounge floor has a crawl space underneath so is basically a suspended floor. For such a fireplace should the floor be reinforced in some way if installing such a permanent load? Any other tips for such a project also appreciated.

2. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

Pictures? Is your fireplace actually on a suspended floor, or in a pre-existing fireplace? Is the replacement to be used (as a real fire, electric one or WHY)?

3. DIYeagle22

DIYeagle22 New Member

Okay so that was the nudge in the right direction I needed. It has been a while since I have been in the crawl space but having gone down there again after reading your reply the brickwork does indeed extend out a little further underneath the floor, Having no prior knwoledge on this as it is my first property with a fireplace it appeared like it was suspended floor directly underneath the existing fireplace. I have attached the picture anyway but I think that gives me the answer I need, thank you. To answer your question it will be an electric fire going in again Capture.JPG