Firing up the boiler!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jimantonic, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Jimantonic

Jimantonic Member

Hello there knowledgeable folks! So we need to turn on our boiler after a renovation. It’s been off for a while, no water or electricity to it. We’ve moved some radiators about plus modernised. Similar size just the modern equivalent in different places. The electricians coming in to wire it up tomorrow. Need to move in sharpish. Is there anything I should do to minimise risks? Don’t want it going pop or anything. I take it flushing the heating pipes would be wise? I don’t think it’s a particularly old unit. Just want to wake it up gently if you catch my drift. Thanks for your help. The Mrs might kill me if she can’t have a hot wash.

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

If you have altered / extended pipework it's wise to flush the system ,if soldered copper pipes/ fittings have been used,it's also a good idea to run a cleansing agent in the central heating once the boiler / central heating is up and running. After that ,again drain down and add inhibitor.
    Also worth checking the pump is freely rotating ,and hasn't seized due to long inactivity.