First, find your CORGI.......

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Percheron, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Percheron

Percheron New Member

Several posts mention the importance of using a CORGI registered engineer for any gas work. Good advice, but how do you find one?

My CH boiler has stopped. I got a list of engineers from the CORGI website, and started phoning round. The first doesn't do repairs, only installations, the second was number unobtainable, the third made an appointment to come round yesterday, and didn't show up.

Do I just keep on working down the list, or is there a better way?

(I live in NE London, if anyone wants the work!)
    TIA

2. RH

RH New Member

have you tried the yellow pages?

3. Percheron

Percheron New Member

No, I haven't tried Yellow Pages yet. Do you think that would be better than the list of registered gas engineers on the CORGI website? Maybe it would. I tried number four this evening. He was out, but is supposed to be calling me back....

Still waiting for the phone to ring.

4. chtechie

chtechie Member

They can be a rare breed - Sometimes as rare as rocking horse ** - I'm sorry to say when I'm asked to recommend I won't because I've been let down by several colleagues. Keep your chin up - Are you sure it's a gas problem? A good heating controls engineer may be what you need.

5. Percheron

Percheron New Member

Number four didn't call.
    Yes, chtechie, I'm fairly sure it is the boiler. The controller appears to be working normally*. It turns on the pump, but the boiler fan (which I know works) doesn't switch on, and no gas goes to the jets.
    I'm now waiting for a call back from my "regular" CORGI, who told me a fortnight ago that he was snowed under but to get back to him if I got desperate!

* It did blow its fuse about a week before the boiler died, but that could well be just coincidence. Fuses do just go occasionally.

6. supersparky

supersparky New Member

fuses in heating systems shouldent be blowing oftern..... this would indicate a fault or overload

7. DavieL

DavieL New Member

anyone in the yellow pages who claims to be CORGI registered will be, YP check with CORGI before they accept adverts stating this

have you considered asking the boiler manufacturer to send a repair engineer?

8. chtechie

chtechie Member

What boiler are you using - 2 possibles that spring to mind - take off and blow out the air pipes to your pressure switch (spiders work wonders) - or it could well be the pcb - If you've got a multimeter check you have 240v on two of the 3 wires on the pressure switch.

David.

9. Percheron

Percheron New Member

It's a Potterton Netaheat Profile 60E.
    Many thanks for your advice, but I'm now hoping to abdicate responsibility for it. My local friendly neighbourhood gas engineer (who couldn't come a fortnight ago because he was too busy) has now found a gap in his busy schedule and is due at my house at 3:00. So I'm going to slope off work early to let him in, and watch what he does!

10. jj

jj New Member

RE: "anyone in the yellow pages who claims to be CORGI registered will be, YP check with CORGI before they accept adverts stating this"

Didn't see the BBC's Rouge Traders then, where some lunk-head had a sticker on his van and actually said he was CORGI registered and actually wasn't anything of the sort ??

11. Percheron

Percheron New Member

It's a Potterton Netaheat Profile 60E. 10-12 years old.
    My local tame CORGI man has given up on it. He did put a new bit of pipe on the air switch, but it didn't help. I've checked the voltages. There's 240V across two of the wires to the air pressure switch. And the test socket also shows 240V. As far as I can see, that represents the voltage to the pump and the fan.

Maybe I'll try phoning Potterton, but I think a new boiler beckons....

12. jj

jj New Member

mmmmm.......

Tonights BBC "House of Horrors" their CORGI registered plumber was a complet dick, even pi$$ed in their sink !!!!! What's that all about ???

13. chtechie

chtechie Member

If you fancy taking E'r in doors shopping in Milton Keynes I'll give you a secondhand pcb to try - It was working when the boiler was scapped a week ago. Email me your phone number if you're interested ch-techie@ntlworld.com

14. supersparky

supersparky New Member

mmmmm.......

Tonights BBC "House of Horrors" their CORGI
    registered plumber was a complet dick, even pi$$ed in
    their sink !!!!! What's that all about ???

LIKE THEY SAID ....HE WAS LEAVING HIS MARK....lol X-)
    BR

15. harry

harry Member

i never knew you had to be corgi registered to pee in a sink.

16. supersparky

supersparky New Member

yea well i fort a corgi registerd plummer would know how to fix a boiler, any idiot can pee in a sink :-O

17. jj

jj New Member

Just back from the pub, ped in the sink and my boiler still don't wotk :(