First Time Plasterer Seeking Advice

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by AndyF55, Feb 26, 2014.

1. BuilderMCR

BuilderMCR Active Member

I start learning how to plaster when I was 14... It is just practice practice practice. But I'd take your wickes trowel back and get an Marshall town trowel from screwfix.

2. AndyF55

AndyF55 New Member

Is makes that big of a difference? The cost difference is really quite substantial - I thought £28 was already quite a lot.

3. BuilderMCR

BuilderMCR Active Member

Have a look at the edges on your trowel that you bought then go to B&Q where you can have a look at a Marshall town trowel and look at the edges.

Plus Mtown trowels don't rust. Yours will be rusty within a week or 2

4. AndyF55

AndyF55 New Member

First wall done today!

The first float full ended up on the floor, but after that it was pretty straightforward. It looked flawless when wet, but as it dries an increasing number of imperfections are being revealed.

I'm hoping it all stays on the wall overnight.

5. BuilderMCR

BuilderMCR Active Member

As it dries it will look a bit patchy (different colours etc.) when it's fully dry look for rough spots, trowel marks and any other blemishes then just sand them out or fill them in...

Any pictures of the wall?

More importantly. Any pictures of the floor? Lol

6. Yep - it's very deceptive :). It all looks amazing when it's that light, and then deep, pink colour. And then it dries... :confused:

When you come to do an adjacent wall, watch out for the recent skim - if it's dry - sucking all the water out off your mix along the corner where they touch. You suddenly wonder why the new skim crumbles and drags along that corner's edge - grrrrr.

I used a small hand-held garden sprayer to run a line of wet along the dry edge of the recent skim before applying the new skim on the next wall.

Unless you are a bludy natural at this, you will find that the finish on your first wall leaves a bit to be desired. So, next time, you may wish to put a bit more 'work' into it ;)

Get yer second skim up, flatten it off to get the worst bumps levelled, and fill any obvious troughs. It'll still be pale pink at this stage, and there isn't much else you can do now until it begins to set. Have a cuppa, and then catch the skim when it's at the 'plastic' stage - getting firm, not unlike Plasticene. That's when you start to add a bit of pressure, and raise the float's angle a tad. Tram-lines will suddenly be blended away.

You may also find at this stage that you naturally want to raise the trowel angle a bit further - it seems to give a better finish, but you could also see the surface begin to drag or tear. Pros sprinkle a bit of water on with a floppy brush - I use the hand sprayer - lots :oops:. It really gets to: squirt-trowel, squirt-trowel. Not too much water comes out of these thingies with each press, so it just gives a nice lube to the job.

Go over the whole wall like this, and then back to the start again. At this point expect the pink to be going that dark shade - really setting. But still a bit workable. I recall at this stage having the trowel at around 45o so's it was actually scraping the surface - a build-up of stuff would form on the top of the trowel edge with each stroke. I would use whatever was handy - the edge of the board - what's it called the board you dump the stuff on to load your hawk? Anyways, sometimes I couldn't be bothered reaching over to that, so would wipe it on my trouser leg (that's why I mentioned really old clothes up earlier on...)

Squirt-stroke, squirt-stroke. And that's when the significantly better finish appears. Still relatively carp after it dries, tho'... :(

7. BuilderMCR

BuilderMCR Active Member

Try and keep it under 18 lol

8. AndyF55

AndyF55 New Member

Before

Attached Files:

9. AndyF55

AndyF55 New Member

Won't let me upload the other image. Will sort it out this afternoon....

10. Phew - I thought that was the finished job :p

MCR - :oops:. Oops - I was unaware.

Andy, see these hairline cracks? Thin some PVA a wee bit - say 20% water - and soak the crack and keep rubbing it in, wiping back and forth, back and forth using a brush. If you watch, you'll likely see the PVA being sucked in by capillary action - keep adding fresh stuff until it's nicely filled.

This should hopefully bind any possible loose edges around the cracks, and will also glue the crack edges together.

Remember, soak the crack, back and forth, back and forth, until it's nicely filled.

FatHands likes this.
  11. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

I thought we were keeping it under 18 DA! :p

12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hey DA what's happened to you ??

I see the sun is shinning (well where I am anyway) the temperature is rising and so is the sap, or so it seems from your last couple of posts

Your advice is detailed as usual but written in a XXX kind of style - think Mills and Boone on steroids

Put some bromide in your tea or something , cold shower maybe or keep on with the clever use of language (the mods will never catch on) !!

13. AndyF55

AndyF55 New Member

Don't laugh. The various bumps and scrapes are surely due to low res imagery and poor lighting...

Attached Files:

BuilderMCR likes this.
  14. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Looks good for a first attempt. Nothing on the floor ;)

15. AndyF55

AndyF55 New Member

Ha! That was after some significant scrubbing.

People say that watching paint dry is the definition of boring. However watching plaster dey is actually quite exciting (well, sort of anyway).

16. Watching plaster dry is, indeed, quite exciting - and pretty scary too when you know it's going hard and you haven't finished towelling. Er, I mean trowelling.

It's tough work - beads of sweat forming on your brow, shirt clamped tight against your moist, heaving chest - darn it, you probably had to strip off half-way through that job, didn't you? Well, did you? Did you...

Cough. Soz... :oops: I'll have that shower now.

17. Phew - that's better.

Nice job :D

18. BuilderMCR

BuilderMCR Active Member

I think your on the wrong forum DA. I think you should try and find one that's a little bit more suited to your kind of conversation.

19. BuilderMCR

BuilderMCR Active Member

Nice work Andy! Keep practicing! As you get better you can reskim the walls your not too happy with!

If you didn't swap your trowel for a MTown get a file on the edge of yours! You will notice the difference straight away.

20. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I think DA, writing a new novel, 50 Shades of Pink. :p:p