First Time

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by part1, Aug 2, 2004.

1. part1

part1 New Member

Just past my 2360 part1 and have just been offered my first job as a mate / labourer.
    To be quite honest I’m bricking it. I’m 30 years old, so no spring chicken.
    Has any body got any good advice for me. Also what type of equipment, safety equipment do I need to have. I’m starting the job this week.

2. sparksrus2000

sparksrus2000 New Member

Best advise i can give you is make sure you can make a good brew!!! ha.... only joking but be prepared to get sent the butchers for a pound of chicken lips...ha good luck...play safe always

3. Stoday

Stoday New Member

And a 10 mm bulb plus rubber headed hammer to put it in with...

4. Tyewrap Tony

Tyewrap Tony Member

...spirit level bubbles and a long weight?

5. gerrin2owd

gerrin2owd New Member

As an electricians mate, all that is required is a willingness to learn and above all else to do as you are told. That doesn't mean that you have to be brain dead, if you are unsure of anything, just ask. I am sure that with the right attitude to the work and the electrician(s)you will have no need whatsoever of bricking it.

The safety equipment/tools requirement depends on the company that you are going to work for. There is your first question to your employer prior to stating.

Good Luck.

6. Tyewrap Tony

Tyewrap Tony Member

Seriously though, I remember my first few jobs.
    I hated my employers that I did my time with and left as soon as I finished.
    Phoned a few numbers in the papers and ended up in Chessington Zoo!
    Whenever I went to someone new I'd always remember that it would never be as bad as you think it might.

Always turn up, or aim to be on the job, 20 minutes before start. (ie 7.30-7.45). That way you can usually chat with the blokes before hand and it shows you're keen.
    Bust a gut not to be late. That pi##es people off big time.
    Ive seen good workers sacked cos they cant get out of bed on time. Where as the more reliable 'grafter' is always kept in work.

So, dont be late, be sociable, listen, and dont moan when you have to do something you dont like. Good Luck.