First Timer Attempting To Build Office In Garage

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by DPaC, Nov 4, 2020.

1. DPaC

DPaC New Member

Hello all

I have a detached, single skin garage, constructed in 2017 (Persimmon) that I want to put a home office in. Certainly no garage conversion, more 'putting up a stud wall dividing the garage into 3/5 garage, 2/5 room with a desk'. I'm definitely a first timer, and this will be the biggest thing I've ever tried (although I know my way around tools, and I'm considered 'handy' by others :) ). I've done a fair bit of research, but I would really appreciate some advice about a few things, and to confirm that I'm not researching badly.

The floor, I think I need to put a DPM down first, maybe 200mm up the walls? Then I needed treated wood for the base plate, and batons, with something like Celotex or Kingspan filling in the gaps? Then OSB or chipboard T&G for the floor? Is that enough? When putting down the wood, is it OK to pierce the DPM? Have I missed anything? Do I need to seal the concrete (PVA) first?

The walls are the really tough bit. From what I've read, I think I need to put a wooden frame up around the three 'external facing' walls, as well as the stud wall. This is so that I can insulate. However (and this might be standard), my walls look like this:

[​IMG]

Where would I put the frame? Against the blocks, but then this would leave a ~120mm gap between the frame and the brick. Or would I build the frame into the 'alcoves', and board over the blocks? If it's the latter, do I need to put anything over the blocks, or would just the fact that I am sealing them (see below) suffice?

I am planning to seal with walls first (PVA mix, two coats), is this necessary? Then I think I need to put a vapour barrier against the walls, then Celotex again, in the gaps of my frame, or could I use something like Rockwool or even Thermawrap here? Does the wood frame also need to be treated? Are there gaps I should be leaving.

Do I need to be concerned about ventilation? I'm assuming building regs wouldn't come into this?

There's a lot of questions there, and I apologise for that. I guess I'm just looking for someone who can say "Right, look, this is what you need to do...". YouTube videos give you lots of puzzle piece, but never the completed puzzle. Any help would be massively appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. Rick1632

Rick1632 Active Member

3. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Forget PVA. I have no idea what good you think it will do.

floor; you should have dpm under the floor anyway but no harm in laying another sheet. Then no need for base plate unless floor I level, just Rigid insulation boards and lay floating chipboard on top. If the slab slopes then yes use timber as you suggest. As to stud walls just build the stud so you have straight wall. Fill with rockwool or rigid insulation board. Then vapour barrier and plasterboard

also need to think about ceiling and insulation there too

4. DPaC

DPaC New Member

Thanks @jonathanc

I guess I though the PVA would act as a sealant and therefore another bit of protection, as it's single skin. But if you think it's not worth it, saves me getting the paint brushes out.

The floor advice makes sense, thanks.

With the stud walls, then, I think you're saying that I would build a straight wall which would therefore touch against the blocks (and not the bricks). How would you advise keeping the insulation in place, for those parts that back on to the brick? If it's a straight wall from column of blocks to column of blocks, they'll be a gap of about 150mm between the stud wall and the brick wall. Would you just use something like ply on the far side to stop the insulation from 'falling through'?

For the ceiling, I've got the exposed beams of the roof, that I was just going to attach some plasterboard to, then add rolled insulation above that, I would think.

5. DPaC

DPaC New Member