fitted french doors, wont shut

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by tiler7777, Jul 22, 2015.

1. tiler7777

tiler7777 Member

So i have fitted my french doors and they wont shut the doors are too close together.

The frame is plum all the corners are square. But the door on the right is higher than the door on the left. Yet the frame on the floor and ceiling height is level from left to right so how is the door higher on the right? what could cause this?

The door on the left shuts but when I close the door on the right the locking mechanisum bangs into the door on the left, beacuse the two doors are too close together.

Also I have used the allen key to turn the doors left and right and up and down and they dont move it enough to allow the doors to close

Bascially the door on the right needs the left side moved to the right, how do I do this?

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I take it the doors are upvc and not wood judging by the amount of hinge adjustments.

3. tiler7777

tiler7777 Member

4. big all

big all Screwfix Select

have you tried reversing the level??

check the level for accuracy
    place the level on a table level it up then turn end to end what do you get??
    also iff the frame is diamond [not at 90% to the top and bottom]it will raise one door and lower the other

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
    Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Alway measure the frame diagonals as diagram to ensure that the frame is perfectly square, don't just relie on a level.

[​IMG]

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  6. "have you tried reversing the level??" :)

Can be quite frightening how 'out' some of them can be :eek:

Tiler, are you sure you understand the adjustments on your particular door? They do vary, and some can be a pain to adjust, especially if there are three hinges on each door (how on earth do you ensure the middle hinge ain't under strain...?)

Some hinges are height-adjusted by turning a grub screw under the hinge pin - this moves the hinge up and down, the moving hinge pin actually 'sitting' on this grub screw.

Some hinge pins are 'cranked', so rotating the actual pin itself makes the door move in and out relative to the frame, and also sideways - just imagine giving that pin a 360o turn.

Could you post a photo of the doors, and also a close-up of the hinge?

7. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Diagonal measures are the only way to ensure square. Unless the doors are faulty which is very unlikely the answer will be that the frame has be fitted skew.

8. tiler7777

tiler7777 Member

I have tried two different levels its fine.

I have measured diagonal its spot on same both sides.

I have measured the right hinge to the top of the frame its 17 cm.

I have measure the left hinge to the top of the frame its 18 cm.

So am I right in concluding that even if it wasnt level or square the hinges on the frame that the doors are lifted should be same level therefore its a manufactioning error by whicks beacuse one hinge is on wrong?

9. tiler7777

tiler7777 Member

devils advocate, I said I used the allen key to ajust them slightely thats not the issue

10. Two reasons why the hinge heights are 1cm different. One is that the whole assembly has been manufactured incorrectly (unlikely) and the other is that one door hinge is at max 'up' setting and t'other at max 'down'...

Don't forget that, for height adjustments, only one hinge out of the three can lift the door up - the other two hinges will be ineffective, left 'hanging in the air' (with some hinge types anyways).

11. tiler7777

tiler7777 Member

I can tbe sure about the hinge heights beacuse its dark now

So what do I do to move the door to the right? do I knock the brick work out at the right and force the frame over?

Or do I force the frame up at the centre or left?

12. If the diagonals are the same, then it ain't an issue with the frame being out of square. So I wouldn't go hitting or wedging anything.

Please add a pic of the whole setup and a close-up of the hinge. I'm sure someone on here (possibly even me) can advise on how to adjust further.

(Some hinges have three adjustment settings - up/down, sideways, and in/out.)

13. tiler7777

tiler7777 Member

The frame may be square but maybe it needs not to be, I only need about 5mm more space between the doors I just dont know which part of the frame I need to ajust.

I keep telling you, I have been on all day with the allen key, top hinge is left and right and bottem is up and down, but there is not enough give in to move the doors.

14. I can't advise until you give us the info I asked for.

I have a couple of sets of PCV French doors, and each has different hinge types. But on both sets every hinge adjusts the same. Ie, it isn't one hinge for height, another hinge for side, etc.

Of course, your doors could be different to this. But it could also be the cause of your 'problem'.

15. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

If its the same on the diagonal then its square. If its the same on the level referencing of the same side of the level then its plumb.

I reckon it might be a bit like adjusting a kitchen hinge in that its possible to over turn it so the thread disengages. Then all the turning in the world wont make it adjust.

I would say take one door off and concentrate on looking at what hinge moves what and almost try to zero it back and then start again

16. tiler7777

tiler7777 Member

I have checked the hinges, when the door moves up you can see a gap between the hinge of about 1cm so I know they are working.

Even when the left hinge is up max and the right hinge is down, the door is still higher on the right hand side. Its clearly not the hinge its something to do with the frame

17. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Take a piece of timber about 10mm thick. place it between both doors as you close it. Pull them as if to close them both at once with the timber in between, until they are too tight to pull any more. Open, remove timber and try tyo close them now.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

18. tiler7777

tiler7777 Member

I will try that, but failing that do I pack under the left of the frame or the bottom right to make the top right rotate?

19. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

How much assembly was there on this Wickes frame and doors.

20. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

If you are sure the frame is square and plumb, do not move it.

You need to do some measuring. A fair bit.

First, close one door and check the door edge for level(plumb) at the handle side. If the frame is plumb, the door edge should be plumb too. If not, adjust so it is.
    Do the same for the other door.
    Now measure top of door at right hinge side to top of frame. Then top of door at handle side.
    Do the same with the other door.
    You should have 4 measurements the same.
    If not, what have you got?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really