Fitting a Casement Stay

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Nigel Heather, Aug 13, 2022.

1. Nigel Heather

Nigel Heather Member

I am just finishing building a shed - basically ending up doing the job myself because garden building companies are really struggling for staff and quote really long lead times to do installs.

All has gone well so far and just putting the finishing touches.

One of these is the casement stay for the window - I'm fine with the idea of casement stays but what is puzzling me is that the stay comes with two stay pins but they are different. One has the pin aligned centrally on the base and the other has the pin to the side of the base. There are no instructions so I'm unsure which stay pin goes where and what orientation.

[​IMG]

Any advice please?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2022
  2. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

Fit stay to window then place one pin by groove in stay allowing for pressure to keep window closed then place other pin in last hole hold pin then lift up stay put 1 screw in and check if ok then put other screw in

3. Nigel Heather

Nigel Heather Member

I understand the basics of installing a casement stay and if both stay pins were identical I wouldn't have a problem. But in this case the two stay pins are different - the problem is that I don't know which of the two goes near the hinge and which near the end. And for the one that is offset which way round do you fit it?

Basically there are four different arrangements those stay pins could be fitted and I don't know which is the correct one.

4. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

The one on the right goes against stay the other pin on the end in hole

5. Nigel Heather

Nigel Heather Member

Thanks, that has helped, left to my own devises I would have guessed the other way round.

But for the stay pin on the right - the pin is offset and so it can be fitted in two different ways - with the pin closer to the frame and with the pin furthest from the frame.

What is is the purpose of the offset - I assumed it was to full the stay in tight when closing - which is why I would have guessed that the offset stay pin would go at the end with the pin closer to the frame.

6. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

Trying to picture in my head but viewed looking out the window the pin on the left is the central one. The pin on the right goes nearest the window.

it’s because they serve two different functions. When closed the left hand central pin has the stay end hole sat over it. But the rest of the stay lies against the offset pin, not over it. The right hand pin only comes into play when you have the stay at various positions of open.

When closing, the stay levers against the right hand pin to pull the window in and then locks over the left hand pin. It doesn’t lock over both.

Much easier to do than describe.

7. Ceebee

Ceebee Active Member

The offset is to because it’s intended to lever on the outer (when viewed from inside the shed) side of the stay and is fitted near the outside edge of the frame, it means the screws to fix it are not on the edge where it’s likely to split the wood frame. Fit the stay first and line it up with the dip/hollow in the stay with the pin closest to outside.