Fitting a Garage Consumer unit

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Arthur Haslehurst, Mar 17, 2022.

1. Arthur Haslehurst

Arthur Haslehurst New Member

Hi, I'm about to fit a 4 way consumer unit into my garage. I am looking for some advice to do it as 'properly' as possible. The armoured cable comes up out of the floor in the very corner of the concrete block built garage. Does it need to be in conduit or simply cleated onto the blocks? at some point I will need to bend the cable through 90 deg to reach the unit approx 400mm from the corner. Does it matter if it enters the unit from the side or from underneath? Is there any regulation concerning the height of the unit? I could fit it at eye height which seems most practical.

2. elecstick

elecstick Screwfix Select

Keeping the cable tight in the corner will be good enough protection. Otherwise do as you prefer, side entry may make cable connections easier, but its up to you

Arthur Haslehurst likes this.
  3. jimbobby

jimbobby Screwfix Select

This work falls under Part P....get an electrician in.
    j

4. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

All domestic electrical work 'falls under' Part P of the building regulations. (England and Wales)
    However, some work is notifiable to the LABC(Local Authority Building Control). What is notifiable depends on whether you live in England or Wales (different rules apply in NI and Scotland)
    Not just any electrician, you need one who can self certify, who is a registered with the CPS (Competent Persons Scheme)

5. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

I think that in most cases, this would be notifiable, as it involves the provision of a new CU.