Fitting a gas hob

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Legal Sparrow, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Legal Sparrow

Legal Sparrow Member

I'm half way through fitting a new kitchen. Most of the stuff is ripped out and I will be putting it back together over the next week or two.

Currently there is an electric cooker in the kitchen, and a pipe for connection to gas. We are getting a new leccy over, and gas hob.

There is no way I want to fit this myself (even if I were allowed) so....

1) At what point should I call in the gas man to connect up the hob? Can it be connected eaisly with all the cupboards in place, or would I do better to leave the one under the hob out to give a bit better access?
    Any other tips so the poor guy doesn't arrive and have to take half the kitchen back out to connect it!!

2) Any ideas how much this would cost (berkshire). The existing pipe outlet is no more than 50cm away from where the hob will be. Hopefully this pipe is still connected to the gas main #?!

ta muchly

2. Pugley

Pugley Member

Glad to hear that you are not trying to plug your gas hob into the cooker bayonette fitting!

The hob should be a rigid connection to the gas supply (unless the manufacturer says otherwise). So you must leave access open to the fitter.

You should call the fitter when your worktop is secure and in it's final position and the hood above the hob is operational.

You seem unclear if the existing pipe is usable so it will need to be tested as part of the commissioning and could require replacement?

I dont want to start a row about prices for jobs without seeing them - so I will give that one a miss if you dont mind. Just ask the fitter when he/she has seen the job what it will cost.

3. ColG

ColG New Member

Just out of curiosity, why does hob require a rigid connection when a freestanding cooker can be connected using a flexible hose to the bayonet connector?

Col

4. gjc

gjc Guest

Col,

Hobs are fixed, so is the pipework.

Free standing cookers are.......well need I go one:)

GJ

5. Mr Kitchen

Mr Kitchen New Member

you can usually fit the hob at the end of the job. Most cupboards have a removable back and the plinths can be removed, so with these bits taken away you should be able to connect the hob (with a visible gas tap) and replace the backs/plinths after. I pay arround £60 to get the gas fitting and certification done by my old Corgi mate if the Gas pipework is near and copper, and I install the hob. This is just to give you an idea.
    Regards Algernon