Fitting a kitchen - help

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Sean Hodges, Aug 4, 2004.

1. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

Hi Sean.

By 'packing', I believe Tangoman means anything that'll stop the sealant being wasted down the gap - I've heard of rolled-up strips of newspaper being used.

A word of caution: getting a good finish with silicone sealant is not a job for the faint-hearted. <u>If you haven't done this kind of job before</u>, then I fear I may be laug.., I mean crying, myself to sleep a few more times from your future posts. (I can see 'Help! How do you remove silicone from walls, worktops, ceilings, the wife...')

With such a big gap, I strongly suggest you look around for a <u>finishing strip</u> that'll do the job instead. There are lots to choose from; purpose made for worktops or just wooden beadings, etc.

2. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

And if you really must silicone such a large gap (I do go on about the size, don't I...!) I use the method described by 'dmacd' in the plumbing forum - (a search is needed as I don't know how to post links!)

I've done lots of 'siliconeing', using all manner of objects to try and get a good finish, but have settled on using the supplied nozzle - cut it cleanly - and the tram-line method described in the posting. It works.

The most important ingredient is confidence! Once it's all set up, and you have lots of kitchen roll handy (no, it's not that exciting...), GO FOR IT!

Try and keep steady. If you end up going over the job lots of times, it won't look good...

3. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges New Member

I really do appreciate all this advice.
    The gap is 6-7mm at its widest, but mostly 1-3mm, so I don't think it'll look too bad.
    I'm not a complete sealant-virgin (fnar-fnar) and I have found that even running a bead then just smoothing it with a finger looks pretty good. This time I'll use a profile and soapy water to try to get a better result than previously.

Incidentally, I just got back the last chunk of worktop from the firm I bought it from. I chickened out of sticking the plastic cap on the end for fear of screwing up the trimming-to-size bit, since the firm does it for £5.
    Well, it's rather disappointing - I reckon I could have done a much neater job myself. The cap is so roughly finished I will have to sand it down anyway - so a waste of time using their service.
    So much for using the professionals.

My wife is absolutely delighted with the kitchen so far (about 85% done). Makes it all worthwhile.

4. chappers

chappers Member

if you are having the joints cut off site and you are tight for width on your work tops I would be very warey incase your walls are not at right angles to each other better to cut them onsite so you can setup your jig accordingly.

5. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges New Member

Excellent advice, except that I suffered that exact problem; measured a right angle, had 90 degree joint cut offsite, then found it was the wrong angle by a few degrees when I came to fit.
    Solved it by chiselling half the plaster off the wall.

6. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges New Member

I'm at the finishing-off stage now, plinths, pelmet, extractor and some decorative panels. My wife is delighted with the end result.
    The advice from this forum was excellent - the whole exercise was become very daunting before people started to help out.

With hindsight, I should have bought deeper worktops than the 600mm standard ones I got. We should also have spent more time planning the kitchen - lots of changes had to be made to accommodate wrong measurements (I forgot about decorative panel thicknesses), wife's changes of mind, and positioning of existing sockets.

Ikea kitchens are pretty straightforward to assemble and fit (albeit quite different to other makes, apparently). They are also very easy to return and exchange (luckily) apart from the drive to Croydon. They are also willing to sell you any individual bit of any unit, so you can change the contents of any carcase as long as they still sell your kitchen design.

7. jasonb

jasonb New Member

Too late for you now but I saw an advert for a company that would collect anything you wanted from Ikea & deliver to your door and would assemble if required. No more driving round Valley Park on a Sunday morning!

If I have to go to the B&Q next to Ikea I find the beat time is 7.30 on a weekday morning, easy to park and you can walk straight upto an empty checkout.

Jason

8. chappers

chappers Member

jason thats the only way I would ever buy anything from ikea again is if someone else went and got it.What a nightmare that place is.
    Find the carpark quite funny Mum,Dad and the kids go out to Ikea buy a lovely dinning table oh dear it won't fit in the back ,never mind says Dad fold down all the seats, there I told you it would go in says Dad triumphantly but what about me and the kids says Mum. Now I know why they have roofracks at the checkout thinks Dad

9. Mickthefish

Mickthefish New Member

make sure the units are level and square ,the only problem you'll have with pre cut mitred joints is if your walls are not square ,I mitre worktops in situe and 9 times out of 10 I have to cut mitres out of square

10. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges New Member

Only a month late, but I appreciate the intentions!

I'm now fiddling around with the last bits, working on it after the kids have gone to bed in the evenings.

I tried to find a suitable strip to seal between splashback and worktop, gave up and used coloured silicone. Unfortunately this was my worst attempt ever to use silicone and looks awful. I will get a tube of silicone eater and try to find some suitable seal while I am in Germany at the end of the month.

As ever, I appreciate what kitchen fitters do for the money much more than I used to!

11. RCDD

RCDD New Member

Sean

Have been following your epic journey, and congratulate you on overcoming all your problems. The advice you have received has been excellent, and I will be using all the tips soon when I fit my new kitchen. Any chance of you posting some pics of your finished kitchen in all it's glory.

Well done mate.

Steve

12. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges New Member

If I get the chance I'll take a few pix. I really ought to buy a digital camera.

One downside of fitting your own kitchen is that, while everyone else sees a really beautiful, flawless job (one hopes!) you can see every flaw jumping out and glaring at you.

13. Dewy

Dewy New Member

Join the club Sean.
    I have some flaws that have been glaring at me for years but no one else has noticed them even when I have pointed them out.
    When my kids were small I knocked out a breezeblock pantry with cold slab to make room for a washing machine.
    I didnt fancy attempting to plaster the wall and tile the lower part to match the rest of the kitchen so I put up a sheet of hardboard with a tile print on it.
    My daughter was in her teens before she realised it wasnt real tiles.
    That was between the sink and the back door that they passed many times every day.
    Take heart.
    You are the only one who is likely to notice any flaws.