Fitting a Kitchen Sink

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Stevewils, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Stevewils

Stevewils New Member

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me what type of sealant should be placed between the sink and the work surface?
    Is there a special rubber mat, or can I just use standard kitchen and bathroom sealant?

TIA
    Steve.

2. andy.sp

andy.sp New Member

Steve,

If you buy a decent quality sink (e.g. blanco) it will have a pre-formed rubber strip on the underside so no need to use a sealant.

3. kitcheneer

kitcheneer New Member

Blanco is the only make that I know of (Franke certainly don't) that have the built in gasket, which of course, is the reason I only use Blanco sinks
    Most of the others provide a ridiculous self adhesive foam plastic strip which wouldn't even be a worthwhile draught excluder (because it's porous) or strips of some kind of putty, but I wouldn't bother with these because there isn't usually a flat flange on the sink that you can stick them to.
    Solution, either use Blanco or get the silicone gun out

4. Jonny Round Boy

Jonny Round Boy New Member

Just fitted a Franke sink this morning - a Beach inset (BBX651) and that did have a built-in, moulded rubber seal.

So there. ;)

5. andy.sp

andy.sp New Member

Kitcheneer,

I'm not a kitchen fitter but have a blanco sink (hence my reply) I assumed (wrongly as you've pointed out) that all decent sinks would have this feature.

I was umming and arring between franke and blanco. From what you've said I made the right choice. So you rate blanco do you and think they're worth the extra £?

6. samuelsdad

samuelsdad New Member

Blanco every time mate. But if it's cheap and cheerful you're after try astracast. Franke are a cut above them, and blanco another step up i'd say. Shop around though. Just gotta blancomedian sink and tap pack (that they say is £309 trade price) for £190 from a place in archway.

Personally, unless that sealing strip is fitted to the sink, I always use clear silicone.

7. Fat Bald Martin

Fat Bald Martin New Member

Personally I never use the stick-on gaskets, I just don't trust them. I always use Dow Corning Translucent Silicone, use plenty and clean off the "squidge" with a 5mm 45 deg Fugenboy, the resultant seal is neat and very water resistant.

Even with a good seal sink to worktop I never think it is worth skipping sealing the the cut edge of the sink cutout in the worktop, it only takes 5 minutes and might save a replacement worktop if it does get wet!

Cheers Martin

8. Joelp1

Joelp1 New Member

my fav sink at the min is the rangemaster ones, anyone fitted these? They have the sealing strip and also nice recessed design so they dont tend to dump much water over the edge. I only ever seal the cut out, not the sink.

9. petr

petr New Member

Yes, my Franke sink has a rubber gasket but they also included some grey putty like strips and in the instructions the show someone using a silicone guno_O. Am I supposed to use the strips in addition to the gasket? Perhaps you need to to put the stips on the rough inside edge of the worktop (in the hole the sink sits)

10. ajohn

ajohn Member

I've fitted an inset stainless sink recently. I used an acetic silicone rubber to seal it. These are the ones that smell a bit as they are going off, some more than others. I wouldn't use an ordinary silicone sealant. I used the same to seal the tap.

It can be easy to remove excess. After it's well pressed down spray with ordinary window cleaner and it can be wiped off with tissues etc or fingers. The window cleaner spray stops it sticking but watch you don't leave a very thin film on the work surface. Careful use of a scraper is probably best if in doubt.

John
    -

I

11. kitfit1

kitfit1 Well-Known Member

Assuming everyone is talking about SS sinks here ? Both Blanco and Franke sell SS sinks with built in rubber seals. It depends a lot on the sink though if you actually get that seal. For a long time now we have been fitting Blanco sinks that have no seal at all. What they do have though is a very wide flat flange that is about 1.5mm thick. Perfect for just a bead of silicon around the cutout, drop the the sink in, a 110v tansformer in the main bowl and another on the end of the drainer. Clean the squidge with a bit of worktop edging and clean with some "Big Wipes". A few hours to let the silicon to go off and the jobby is jobbed. No need to even bother with the sink clips, always a Brucie bonus :D

CGN likes this.
  12. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

Forget big wipes mate. These from TS.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Cl...s/sd3257/Trade+Strength+Cleaning+Wipes/p25874

Better on the pocket :D

kitfit1 likes this.
  13. kitfit1

kitfit1 Well-Known Member

14. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

Oh, you mean wonder wipes :D

15. ajohn

ajohn Member

;) You can clean the windows with what I suggested. Also recess silicone grout tiles to worktop to match the real stuff with a tissue again. Keeps fingers clean too.

John
    -

16. barbaricduck

barbaricduck Member

I wouldn't trust the built in gaskets on any sink over a long period of time. Plenty of clear silicone and plenty of wipes to get the excess off is the longer term solution
    The gasket might sit nicely but if the initial cut out isn't spot on then there will likely be weak points (for want of a better phrase).

17. barbaricduck

barbaricduck Member

Lazy Sod!!

Tightening up sink clips is the best part of the job!!
    One nice thing about Franke is the self grabbing clips. As you say, a bit of weight and silicone and job done.

18. Abi Interiors

Abi Interiors New Member

Hi, everyone

Recently I have installed a stainless steel kitchen in a concrete sink. After sometime water leakage started from all corner sides.
    I can't understand that how water leakage has started because I have filled it with white cement. So, please tell me what is the right way for the fitting of a kitchen sink.

19. chippie244

chippie244 Well-Known Member

Try explaining what you did again using words in the correct order and with photos :)

20. William hook

William hook New Member

How many types of kitchen sink are available in the market and which is best?