Fitting a new worktop to an existing

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by James.Davidson, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Hi,

I want to make our kitchen work space bigger by butting a new worktop to the existing.

Is there any way to do this without removing the existing worktop?

The existing worktop is 40mm with a round over, I want to but against to create a u shape (currently an L).

I suspect a mason mitre joint with work but not sure if it’s possible with the worktop already in place and against the wall.

Have added a picture.
    Thank you in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

No, as you suggest to do it properly you would need to remove the worktop to be able to get the router right to the end. Out of interest is the wall to the right brick or timber and plasterboard?

3. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

If you're not fussed use a corner trim, has a bit of local authority housing chic about it.

Jord86 likes this.
  4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

And a mild case of Salmonella.

Muzungu likes this.
  5. Bugger.
    Brick - would that make a difference?

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Yes as it means you can't cut a patch out of the wall if it was a stud wall in order to get the router in right to the end. Look if you're adamant you want it done without removing the top you can cut the masons mitre by router so far but you'd have to use a homemade jig as a professional one would protrude further than the end of the worktop but you'll have to finish the straight section off by hand, I don't think it's a job many fitters would want to be responsible for, apart from the ones who wish to challenge themselves.

James.Davidson likes this.
  7. Thank you for the advice. Will have to take the existing off and then refit.

It looks like the tiles sit 5 mm above so hopefully will slide out without too much damage.

Jord86 likes this.
  8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Multi tool the grout or silicone first to break the seal, then fingers crossed. Good luck.

James.Davidson likes this.