fitting draw / door handles

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by andyd2604, Mar 22, 2010.

1. andyd2604

andyd2604 Member

ok spent ages fitting mine so how you you pros get it right? the issue i had was getting the marking square and marking holes out.

2. Joelp1

Joelp1 New Member

practice i guess, i just use pencil and tape. I was told you can get a jig for them though which i may look into, as it would save a lot of time, and a few mistakes :)

3. clprop

clprop New Member

howdens and magnet trade do an adjustable handle jig.... i tend to do 1 door and draw with the jig then use the door and draw over and over until all is done.... easy as that

4. Fat Bald Martin

Fat Bald Martin New Member

I know lots of people will laugh but I use a "FIXA" jig from Ikea they are only £2 and suit a wide variety of handle sizes, all you need to do is mark the centre of the handle and the jig positions the holes, Seemples.

(Waits for the storm of scorn)

If this works here is the link for the item, but they are generally in the kitchen hardware area near the hinges etc.

www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90101778

5. Binfield Carpenter

Binfield Carpenter New Member

I always fit the drawer fronts / doors and then fit handles in situ though I know other fitters who drill for handles before actually fitting. To my mind it's too easy to put the handle in the wrong corner that way.

Stick some wide masking tape in roughly the right place, open the door to check that it is on the right side and then use a combination square set up with the dimension from the reference edge (top for the base units, bottom for wall units). Then quick pencil mark, lay handle on to do another sanity check and drill holes.

For drawer handles set another (large) square with the horizontal dimension from the ends.

6. andyd2604

andyd2604 Member

cheers is there a market for a propper jig?

7. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Fixa jig for me too, on about my tenth as the plastic is a bit brittle, quick and easy

8. what2do

what2do New Member

I used to have the jig (bought via Hafele), not a bad poece of kit but definately not fire resistant - which is exactly where mine ended up due to the client offering to dispose of cardboard and stuff. In all honestly, the jig only has a short length that sits against your cupboard/draw front and i didn't trust enough, thus i still quickly checked with a square. as others have said, masking tape, a square, and perhaps a scap of chipboard at the rear so you don't get too much breakthrough as the bit exits the wood.