Fitting fire door

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by tore81, Sep 24, 2015.

1. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Hi all I

I have experience many of domestic doors but haven't had experience with the fire door.

I have to fit a couple. Is there a process you follow as in. Fit in frame first, then rebate into frame? Also any tips for lining up lock into existing frame.

I'm also thinking of buying the festool plunge saw. As this will make life easier. Any thoughts be appreciated

2. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Rebate the intermiscent strip Into the door I mean not frame

Do I router out after doing the hinges lock etc,

3. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

Tore, why are you fitting Firedoors?

You really need a qualified chippie. There are some jobs best left to a tradesman and this is one such. Spend a few pounds and sleep easily.

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Don't ask me, I hate fitting fire doors.

GoodwithWood likes this.
  5. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

As I said mate I have fitted lots of domestic doors. And have a good level of carpentry.

As you probably know the carpentry trade keeps going things change.So I just wanted to ask a more experienced member for guidance. Thanks for the reply tho.

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The TS55 is a brilliant piece of kit and you will wonder how you ever managed without one.

7. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Thanks chippie I'm going to take the plunge. Have you 110 or cordless?

You sure you can't have any input to hang the fire door lol.

Hang the door first? then rebate for the strip. Just want a methodical approach.

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

240V, I don't do site work.
    You will have to get the door swinging before rebating for the strips.

9. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

If its a new door into an old frame, you have to fit the door first, then take it off and work the intumescent.

10. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Ok great thanks. Might go 110 difficult choice. As I don't want to buy twice.

What about the mortice lock. Is that after the strip I guess.

What is the easiest way to centre the router bit. I'm not sure if this door has two intermiscents. How to set it up. I've been trying to dodge this job lol.

11. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I must admit I try to steer clear of firedoors as its a lot of hassle. Like Chippie its 240v for me too as I don't do much site work.

Definitely go for the Festool. I had one nicked and replaced it with a Dewalt and its not in the same league.

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If you can afford it go cordless.
    I've got 2 fences for my router and if I have to do something like this I stick some studding through the base and use both, as long as you're careful you can just use one though.

13. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Great to know that golden boy. Cause I was toying with the idea of a dewalt. I don't do site work either but who knows. I've heard 110 less power.

Door Is for a store room. I don't think I can dodge it. Unfortunately

14. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

I can't imagine there would be enough power with a cordless chippie.

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Festool don't mess around but I thought you were doing site work, ask them for a demo.

16. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Oh there is plenty of power with cordless kit these days, I only ever plug in extractor, planer, mitre saw, sawbench, sds, router and track saw. All the rest. Vacuum, jigsaw, trimsaw, recip, multicutter, 1st and 2nd fix nailer, grinder plus all drills are cordless. Next March I will go cordless on mitre saw and planer too.

17. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Twin battery on the Festool I think.

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

'tis

19. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

If you aren't on site then don't go 110v. 240v are much more powerful. Plus no transformer to lug about

20. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

You got it?