Fitting Floating Shelves - Are these brackets Good or?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by wau5, Nov 15, 2017.

1. wau5

wau5 Active Member

I'm going to be throwing the old kitchen cabinets out and replacing them with floating 1.5m x 45mm x 200mm oak shelves.
    However I'm a bit worried that I still don't have a proper way to fix them to the wall (brick),
    They will be used to just store regular kitchen stuff ,heavy stacks of plates/produce/cans and all that stuff, Usually these floating shelves are used just to store some lightweight candles and nicknacks?

I did some research and seems like most of the people are using such fixings
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Free-Conce...00GMI5248/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

[​IMG]

at the First look, the support itself looks ok from the picture,however it comes with only a 60mm long plug which doesn't looks like the most sturdiest thing, not sure I would want to use that to hold such weight?

I have never fitted a floating shelf before so I have no idea whatsoever about fixing like these.
    Maybe someone has used this exact same product before and can comment? Maybe any ideas about a better way to do this job?

This is the end result I want,however I don't want it all coming down if I stack too much stuff on it :D
    [​IMG]

2. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

According to my amazon history I’ve used exactly those brackets before. I can’t remember if I used the plugs provided. I doubt it. I tend to throw plugs and screws provided in kits away and use ones I trust.

So long as the plug isn’t sloppy I think you’ll find them study enough.

3. If your shelves go against at least one side wall, as in that photo, and if you can contrive a concealed fitting on that wall and towards the front of the shelf, that will contribute to its strength a huge amount.

But it's getting it to be invisible that's the issue.

4. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Buddy, your trust in (90% guarantee) green oak 45x200 not to move and twist ~15mm over 1.5m with type of fixings will turn in to one hard lesson ;) (my £0.02ct)
    It might not too! Oak might have been well seasoned etc....
    Did you actually weighed felt them lumps?

ANW, hope for the best, but I wouldn't do it such way.

If anything, remember doing similar design feature (shelves of 180 w x 30 h X 1.1m l above coat hanging board at a hallway..., routing out 26x26 slot at the back to accommodate 24x24 solid steel bracket, that had coach bolts drilled, wound inn and chem fix bolts drilled in to the wall...
    In couple of months, before we where out of there it split in several places already, customer liked anyway, as it matched wonky everything there...

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

And make sure they are stainless or passivated fixings.

However, If you want the same look, save money and make a much more stable shelf - I would make hollow shelves with oak faced ply on the top and bottom with just solid oak on the front and open edge.

upload_2017-11-15_21-51-38.png

AlvyChippy likes this.
  6. Broon

Broon Active Member

7. koolpc

koolpc Screwfix Select

If putting heavy items on the shelves I would look at alternative fixing methods.

8. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Fairly easy. Accurately slot the ends of the shelf say 20mm deep from back to about 20mm from from. Then, insert a metal dowel into the wall at the right locations and then slide the shelf into place and onto the long fixings in teh back wall.

9. wau5

wau5 Active Member

Ok i'm in a pickle, Turns out the wall I want to attach the shelves to Isn't brick but it's BLOCK wall.
    I was set on the chemical anchor way, already got m12 rods and started doing Demo work...

What to do now? The porous blocks aren't the best thing to attach anything to them...
    Do I still drill the holes and do it the chemical anchor way? Would the BLOCKS even hold anything?

10. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Carry on. You won't get a better fixing than chemical anchor.

AlvyChippy likes this.
  11. wau5

wau5 Active Member

even with
    [​IMG]

This kind of block?