Fitting French doors in SIP garden office

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Benjamin1980, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Benjamin1980

Benjamin1980 New Member

Hi Guys,

I'm building a SIP garden office from a kit, I have the correct size French Door for the reveal, I've never fitted a door before and was looking for some advice. The door has come with instructions about how to properly configure them, but with no instructions about how/what to fix with specifically.

* what would be suitable for screws for fixing the door to the reveal (it's wood)?
    * the door has a cil that needs to be screwed to the frame, what screws would be suitable for this?
    * also when fitting the door and cil to the reveal what should I just use silicone under the cil or do I need a pan or something else?

Any help would be amazing - thanks in advance!

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

1. 100mm screws.
    2. 50mm screws.
    3. Wrap 450mm width DPC or a breathable membrane over any exposed timber, then run a bead of silicone the length of the area, edge to edge, then sit the cill and frame on top, (check for level before applying silicone, use packers to adjust if necessary.)

3. Benjamin1980

Benjamin1980 New Member

Thanks, dude that's awesome!

Can you clarify a bit more - sorry! Trying to make sure it's idiot proof!

1. 100mm screws would these be timber screws? like this? https://www.screwfix.com/p/timbascrew-wafer-timber-screws-gold-6-7-x-100mm-50-pack/1792j
    2. 50mm screws - what kind of screw would you recommend?
    3. I've got a breathable membrane on the outside of the build with an excess around the reveal, just pull this in over the timber before popping the door & cill in?
    4. silicone? https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-general-purpose-silicone-clear-310ml/35887
    5. packers? https://www.screwfix.com/p/broadfix-glazing-packers-medium-225-pcs/33302

4. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

I use a large piece of plasterboard to set the frame square ( I'm diy ) , jord I'd make you laugh at the way i hang internal doors

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

1. Not quite, any 100mm countersink head screw by a decent company, Wurth, Spax, Reisser, even turbogold are certainly good enough.
    2. As above, just 50-60mm in length, whatever won't go through the frame into glazed or panelled section of the door.
    3. Yeah that'd be fine.
    4. Fine, I prefer soudal or Dow corning silicone myself, but no nonsense will do the job.
    5. Top banana, but I'd save yourself thirteen and a half quid and just use offcuts of timber or small shims or wedges, cut them off flush or beneath the frame, silicone will hide them once you seal all around the frame.
    6. Good luck.

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Don't matter how you do them mate, it's the end result that is the main thing. Everyone has their ways and means, doesn't make methods right or wrong.

7. Benjamin1980

Benjamin1980 New Member

Thanks Jord - superb stuff!