Fitting Howdens Chimney Extractor Fan

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Scouse30, Aug 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Scouse30

Scouse30 New Member

Has anyone fitted a Howdens extractor hood? I wish to know how to screw it to the wall as there are holes which look to have inserts missing. I bought the unit second hand and have even asked Howdens if there is a kit for fitting it, but was sent a bracket for the chimney.
    Webp.net-compress-image.jpg

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Well-Known Member

Top holes are keyholes it looks like.

Offer it up mark the holes, drill and plug them and whack in 5x60mm screws.

Hook it over them. Then do final adjustments and fix through any holes available.

Drill some in the steel if needs be,

kitfit1 likes this.
  3. Scouse30

Scouse30 New Member

Thanks Goldenboy. Any idea what the lower big holes are for? I have tried using very large washers to hold screws in place inthese holes,but they soon come loose.

4. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Active Member

When I fitted my NEFF unit a few years ago there were big fittings that went in slots a bit like that... I can't remember EXACTLY how the fitted/worked, but basically they were a cam fitting for the screw to go through, so if you didn't have the screws holes exactly horizontal you could adjust the height left/right by turning the cams..
    I suspect these are for something similar.

Regards,

Cando

kitfit1 likes this.
  5. kitfit1

kitfit1 Well-Known Member

Nearly spot on. The Neff cams are on the top of the hood though and are more sophisticated than the Howdens hood.

OP, you are as you suspected missing the adjustable cams which go in the bottom large holes. As Goldenboy said though, mark, drill , plug and fix through the top holes. Then just drill some new holes through the metal at the bottom, mark, plug and screw............jobby jobed.

goldenboy likes this.
  6. Scouse30

Scouse30 New Member

Will do as it will be cheaper and easier to do. But thanks everyone for letting me know what the holes are for.