Fitting oak 2 doors and pair maker

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Andy 1976, Nov 24, 2021 at 7:32 PM.

1. Andy 1976

Andy 1976 New Member

Hello

Can I ask for some advice please.

I have bought 3 oak pre finished doors and a pair maker now how hard will they be to fit. Any special tips for planeing them?. What size hinges would I need?

I had a quote of a joiner £250 for 3 doors is that about right ?

2. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Well-Known Member

Almost impossible to answer without more info, Andy. But;

Most/all joiners (myself included) tend not to plane doors these days, apart from using a low-angle block plane to take off sharp edges and for final shaving of odd bits. Almost all trimming is done using a rail-guided plunge saw, as it's quicker and way more accurate, especially if you're having to take off a wedge-shaped slice to sit a door in an out-of-square frame. This machine is also used because it's much easier to put a 1 or 2-degree backplane bevel on a leading edge to get a combination of a free-closing door along with a tight door/frame gap. 3mm is what's normally aimed for.

How hard they'll be to fit is entirely dependent upon the state of the frames they're going in - simple as that.

Hinge sizes and number are totally dependent upon the weight and size of the door. I'd recommend 3no. 76mm (3") x 51mm x 3mm thick butt hinges per door as a minimum. If the doors are big, heavy ones, increase the hinge plate size to 102mm (4"). Buy good hinges - the best type have phosphor-bronze bushings.

And yes - that's a very fair price for this job. Doors to trim, pair maker to fix up, hinge recesses to machine into doors and frame, hanging and trueing up, locks and handles to fit, etc. etc.