Fitting radiator over socket

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by richhand, Aug 8, 2020.

1. richhand

richhand Member

I'm planning to fit a blanking plate over a live socket after connecting terminals with 32amp blocks so I can fit a radiator over the top. Are there any issue with this?

Banallsheds likes this.
  2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Yes. Make sure the conductors are terminated in to Wago connectors to make them maintenance-free. All junction boxes on a circuit should be accessible. By putting a radiator in front you are making it inaccessible. If it is just a spur then it won't be an issue, but, if its part of a ring final circuit, it will.

3. Pete Jones

Pete Jones Active Member

Could be if you develop a fault on the socket circuit and need to access all the connections for testing purposes, just a thought.

4. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Or just leave it as it is?

Severntrent likes this.
  5. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

I would trace cables and move joint to somewhere more accessible. all joints should be available for testing. As said above get a socket circuit fault means trouble fault finding. Believe me it does happen

6. richhand

richhand Member

It is on the ring circuit so I should probably shift it away from the rad.

7. nigel willson

Yes that’s what I would do

8. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Highly unlikely that you will need to access it in the future and if you needed to all it means is taking the rad off or swinging it down to the floor whilst resting on a couple of brick supports. At the end of the day its down to how much work you want to and can do

9. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

The regs say and joints etc need to be readily accessible. I would not say that taking the rad off or swinging it down to the floor whilst resting on a couple of brick supports counts as readily accessible.

Bazza and nigel willson like this.
  10. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Best solution would be relocate the socket. Or put the rad elsewhere.

nigel willson likes this.
  11. nigel willson

Ever done fault ding on a ring? When you eventually find the hidden socket they Say
    oh yer forgot/ didn’t know that was there.lol

Bazza likes this.
  12. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

I would, nearly as easy as opening a cabinet door

13. nigel willson

14. MFD

MFD Member

It might be time you oiled those hinges :p

Severntrent likes this.
  15. Bogle Crag

Bogle Crag Screwfix Select

Spent three days sorting numerous faults on a ring, last one was a blanked socket behind a chest of drawers, loose neutral in connector block

16. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

@richhand which way do the cables go from the socket, up or down or sideways. If up or down, I would put an MF joint either under the floor or in the ceiling and bypass the socket completely.

17. nigel willson

At my age I squeak alot

18. richhand

richhand Member

they actually come from the socket on the opposing side and then run underfloor. I may as well start with new cable from the socket next door and run underneath to wherever needs be.

19. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Is this a partition wall less than 100mm thick?