Fitting s/s backsplash

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by ouroboruss, Jun 19, 2018.

1. ouroboruss

ouroboruss New Member

Hi

Because of the distance between my hob and extracter fan and the wall cupboards either side i need to fit a custom size backsplash as all the pre-cut ones will be either too big or too small.

My problem is that the custom size backsplashes are all just flat sheet metal so they wont be level with the tiles, is this going to look like a bad job? or is there a way to bring it forward a bit?

I have seen some people have just put them over tiles but my tiles arent cheap plus I dont want to go to the effort to fit tiles just cover over them again.

Any advise would be much appreciated

Thanks

2. DIY womble

DIY womble Active Member

Could you fit hardibacker board, 12mm

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

The SS splashbacks are often simply bonded to MDF, then the MDF bonded to the wall

Agree will look better if flush with tiles so a continuous surface - tile / SS / tile

Are you tiling yourself or employing a tiler ?

Obviously need to sort out tile thickness plus adhesive in relation to MDF and SS then have a discussion - either with tiler or yourself ;)

Will look sweet though :)

4. ouroboruss

ouroboruss New Member

I guess that would work. Just wondering what others have done or would do?

5. ouroboruss

ouroboruss New Member

I will be tileing myself! So fingers crossed!

Tile thickness is 5mm, what should I alow for the adhesive?

6. kitfit1

kitfit1 Well-Known Member

Adhesive will depend on the comb depth of whatever trowel you use. A bare SS splashback will be a couple of mm thick. As you will be tiling yourself, tape the splashback in position and then tile up to 1mm away from the splashback. Once the tile adhesive has gone off, use a set square to measure the depth of the tile+adhesive. Depending on that depth dictates your choices for fixing the splashback. My choice would be loads of very large thick blobs of Gripfill on the back of the SS. Put it in position with a small amount of pressure so that some adhesive "grabs". Then with a spirit level or straight edge that goes 10mm minimum onto the tile face each side, push the SS backsplash from the worktop, working your way upwards. Then walk away and let the Gripfill Set.....................job done.

ouroboruss likes this.
  7. ouroboruss

ouroboruss New Member

This is perfect! Thanks! :D

8. Pollowick

Pollowick Well-Known Member

Do you have the splashback yet? If not, look for a local sheet metal shop and see what they will charge for a sheet of stainless cut to your requirements - you may be surprised at how little it might cost. Do could even specify it with a 4, 5, 6 mm turn-back at the top if needed to avoid having a visible line of adhesive/grout.

Also, check the "gripfill" is it suitable of smooth steel ? some do not work too well and maybe a mirror adhesive might be better.

9. kitfit1

I was referring to good old fashioned Gripfill, it works brill with SS and always has done. Once set, it's as solid as a rock :D

10. ouroboruss

ouroboruss New Member

What do you mean by "old fashioned" Gripfill

@pillowick - Not sure what you mean abiyt the turn-back? how does it hide grout?

11. Pollowick

The older ones tended to be very solvent based and possibly acidic and did grip well, maybe they etched a fine key in the surface - some of the modern ones are water/non-solvent and quite benign and may not grip that well. That was why I suggested checking. I know the mirror adhesives stick well to smooth metal finishes.

12. DIYDave.

I’m only diy me and I realise that kitfit is a pro but ......... the 2 SS steel splashbacks ive fitted in my lifetime, were way thinner than 2mm (not much to brag about I realise) :p

Ok, there’s a difference in quality and budget I realise but you’re talking domestic here, ones I’ve looked at have been just under 1mm SS, something like .8 / .9 of a mm

Yours may well be better quality and thicker, fair play

But if thin, I think I would rather bond onto a solid backing first, even MDF, to give better support. Unlikely perhaps but if just .8mm, bonded with blobs of adhesive, and it gets a wack from a saucepan handle, as an example, it may possibly dent

If bonded onto MDF, then no damage

If you splashback is 2mm thick, then it’s gonna be pretty much bullet proof so blob away

As I said, only fitted 2, I’m sure kitfit has fitted at least ...... um...... er...... maybe ....... 3 or more so he will know for sure :)

Pollowick likes this.
  13. kitfit1

I mean this : https://www.screwfix.com/p/gripfill-adhesive-350ml/10261

It just works, always has done and always will do. You have an SS backsplash.....................take it from me................it will work.

14. ouroboruss

ouroboruss New Member

Ok, it is .9mm I wonder wether it is worth spending an extra £25 to get 8mm thick splashback? or will that have its own problems?

Thanks Kitfit1! I will make sure I use this grip fill. thanks

EDIT: wait a minute, its not 8mm thick, its turned up at the edges

15. Pollowick

The top edge bent back through 90 degrees so you cannot see the adhesive or grout behind. Make an MDF template in 6 or 8mm as appropriate, then get the steel to fit the face and lipped over the top.

16. ouroboruss

ouroboruss New Member

Can you get 8mm mdf? thought it was only 3 or 9?

17. Pollowick

3, 4, 6, 8, 9, 10 ... But wait until you have tiles fitted. Then allow for adhesive - good layer, MDF, stainless steel ... the adhesive layer will make up the thickness

18. ouroboruss

ouroboruss New Member

Just measured the hood up and the light is 1cm away from the wall so I am limited to how far out it comes anyway.

19. DIYDave.

Yep, often slightly misleading with the thickness dimensions when you take a quick glance

8mm will be overall depth, wether simply turned over edges or SS & MDF construction

All easy enough though to do, as kitfit recommends, temporarily fix splashback to wall (even 4 small blobs of silicone). Tile either side, then measure and work out what depth backing you need

You can always make up a few mm with adhesive blobs behind the MDF (if you decide to go this route)

20. ouroboruss

ouroboruss New Member

If I do go down the MDF route will the edges of the mdf react ok to the tile adhesive/grout?