Fitting Timber Window Board

Discussion in 'Project Photos' started by Jitender, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Original cill was made up using 15x15cm tiles.

Remove old browning plaster to expose blockwork

upload_2016-11-19_12-9-19.png

Plaster chiseled to accept 3" return nosing.

upload_2016-11-19_12-9-39.png

Blockwork vacuumed and dusted before applying insta stick foam adhesive.

upload_2016-11-19_12-9-47.png

Cill now set and made level. Cill cut fractionally larger in length to fit under plaster reveals.

upload_2016-11-19_12-9-56.png

Return nosing filed and sanded to match bull-nose to front of cill.

upload_2016-11-19_12-10-6.png

Damaged to plaster made good using browning plaster undercoat allowing to set. Then applied filler before final finishing and painting.

upload_2016-11-19_12-14-49.png

Attached Files:

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Posh job :)

3. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Thanks for sharing.

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Foam stuff is really good, initially not fond of using it but window board is very solid.

Easy to fix in place to just a case of getting the right amount of foam so it stays at the right level, too much and it can lift out of place. Sometimes I have dry packed it using packers to weigh it down with objects.

Had to get the window board from local timber merchants as major sheds only stock MDF primed which I am not too fond of using.

5. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

You didnt want to fit a UPVC one?

6. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Thanks for sharing, that's a top job Jit!;)

What do you think of the foam adhesive?

7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I fitted a small window board the other day. Prepared and cut it to size, stuck a few packers in place, squirted my foam on ready, dropped the board on and then noticed it didn't fit quite as well as in the 'dry run'. I'd put in on upside down!! Damm sticky mess!! :D

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Not a fan of upvc, windows are aluminum which I fitted earlier. Origianl ones still in house are timber with same profile.

But did fit the kitchen one with it as its near the sink.

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I always use the dow insta foam - really good stuff I use it with the gun (gun grade).

Joe95 likes this.
  10. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Excuse me sir :D

Deleted member 33931 and CGN like this.
  11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Are you really a journalist masquerading as a tradesman Joe! :D

Joe95 likes this.
  12. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Hey, at least i know how the media feels when they take things out of context! :D

CGN likes this.
  13. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

[​IMG]

Top job, but your bogs out of level :D

14. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

He lives on a boat!!

15. These are superb descriptions, Jit :)

16. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I'm getting round to replacing the of window boards in house.

When new windows were fitted, wasn't getting the full profile around the frame visible, most being lost behind the cill.

Now doing the decorating the bedroom so have taken off the old cill. Tried really carefully to removed the cill so I could use again. Located old nails, punched them below but still not able to release the cill :mad:

In the process the light block on the top row all loosened :oops: so had to lay a course of bricks and re-plaster the cill.

Would say to leave the cill at least a few weeks in house to settles. The cill I put in the landing had shrunk away from the frame, but as the wall hadn't been plastered it was fairly easily to slip saw blade underneath it to get it loose before re fixing again with foam.

17. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

On a more positive note, how's the attic going? :)

18. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Haven't done anything there for over 5 weeks. Had to spend over 2 weeks fitting new doors as well as other jobs.

Decided to get a bedroom finished, planning on decorating it then parents can stay in this room until I do theirs, ceilings had artex so decided to get plasterer in to skim the ceilings. Spent 2 1/2 days removing wall paper and 1 day filling and sanding. It is ready to be painted now except for wood work. Think it will be at least another 4 weeks until I get back onto the loft again. At least I can get something finished.

I have moved into my own flat as was too congested.

19. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Don't be starting renovating your own flat for a little while, you'll be snowed under :)

20. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I prefer it here, at least I have the space.

Needed to get out from parents place, can't be living with them all the time.

Still going to get the work finished though, too much stuff going on at the moment....