Fitting towel radiator, need fitting advice.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jay78, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Jay78

Jay78 Member

Hi guys

I just bought a towel rail to swap with the crappy rad currently in the bathroom.

Thing is the fitting is different, the current rad is connected to the valves horizontally whilst this new radiator needs to be fit vertically "hope this makes sense"

I've not done this before so don't know the correct terms but maybe some "elbow" screw on joints might work?

This picture should show what I'm going on about.

Attached Files:

2. Hans_25

Hans_25 Well-Known Member

Can you take the floor up? If so, then redo from below floor level and bring the pipes up in the required position.

If not, then could use elbows perhaps, better to put in an S bend bit of pipe but that requires some care and skill. Look at street elbows where one end is male and the other female so take up less space - may be a couple of 45 degree street elbows.

New rad will need new lockshield valves :)

3. Jay78

Jay78 Member

Hi

I can take up the floorboards and I just got hold of a mate who will do the job for me.

Thanks for the reply.

4. Hans_25

You might want to think about which lockshields you buy and whether they're right angle or 180 degree type.

For towel rails (like mine) that are fed from pipes coming from the wall behind, fit right angle type, so the pipes come out of the wall, turn 90 degrees to go up into the rad. In your case its more likely you want 180 type so pipes come up through the floor, through lockshield and into the rad all in a straight line. But you could use right angle type if you want, so pipes come up through floor inbound of the rad inlets then turn right or left. And probably in chrome finish. This kind of thing https://www.screwfix.com/p/chrome-straight-radiator-valve-15mm-x-2-pack/84816

Mine are more like this https://www.screwfix.com/p/torino-chrome-angled-radiator-valve-lockshield-15mm-x-2-pcs/43354

5. Jay78

Jay78 Member

Oh I see what you mean now.

I might need to pull up a few floor boards like suggested and go directly into the towel rail so thanks for the link for the correct lockshields.

Btw my plumber mate can't get over till Friday but I might do this myself depending on difficulty.

Can this all be done without soldering etc?

Will get a pic of under the flooring tomorrow.

Cheers

6. Hans_25

Yes it can be done without soldering, but copper and soldered connections is really what you want for a trouble free life afterwards. Plus any non-soldered connections above the floorboards are going to look right naff.

7. Jay78

Jay78 Member

Lol fair enough.

Will get a few floorboards up and get a pic going tomorrow hopefully can sort this out.

Thanks for your quick replies