Fitting UPVC Window

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by paul1955, Oct 13, 2018.

1. paul1955

paul1955 New Member

Hi all, looking for some advice. I am going to attempt fitting a upvc window, never done this before so please bare with me as I have a few questions.
    1. Is it best to fit the sill first on its own, if so do you screw it down to the brick work or stick it down (if so what with). Or do you attach sill to frame and put it all in as one unit.
    If you attach sill to frame, do you screw through the frame into the sill, or screw through the sill into the frame (hope that makes sense)
    2. What is best to put under sill, expanding foam, or mortar.
    3. Do you put expanding foam all around the frame even if there is only a little gap between frame and brickwork (say 5mm) or just screw frame to wall and then silicone gaps.
    4. When the frame is in and level, do you wedge it at the sides or top and bottom to stop it moving whilst you drill holes. Or is there a better way.
    Any other tips will be appreciated. Bye the way window size is approximately 1000mm x1500mm. Thanks

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

1 yes
    2 silicone
    3 yes, and silicone when foam dry
    4 yes

Read the thread a few below this one called replacing wooden Windows, I went into a bit more detail on that one.

3. paul1955

paul1955 New Member

Thanks Jord86 for the quick response.