fitting upvc windows

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by abit damp, May 14, 2006.

1. handyman.

handyman. New Member

The regs are mostly there to ensure energy efficieny,
    not really anything to do with workmanship.

Exactly my point. Its a joke. You could fit the window with no sealant outside or in and have a gap all round, and they would pass it. The window would probably be worse for efficiency than the old one......

2. MaryWhitehouse

MaryWhitehouse New Member

The most annoying thing is that all this double glazing is going to reduce CO2 and mean global warming won't be as good.

I say go back to single glazing, and we'll soon have the world warmed up nicely so that we have a decent summer.

The only downside is that Norfolk will be undewater. Hmm did I say downside :)

3. cheltonian

cheltonian New Member

Any window inspection should cover means of escape, ventilation, glazing in critical areas etc, as well as the thermal efficency of the units.

The new regs were brought in as part of the government's compliance with the Kyoto agreement, to reduce co2 emissions.

Locking the door after the horse has bolted springs to mind

4. MGBMAN

MGBMAN New Member

If the FENSA regs are there to ensure that the windows have been MANUFACTURED to modern standards, why can't Screwfix issue the FENSA certificate. After all, what does a Building Control revenue collector look for on a fitted window? Yes, its the manufacturer's marks!

If Building Control inspected the workmanship and such things as foam insulation etc they would have to rip out the sealant and other quarter beading to look inside. They would also need to remove some glazing units to check that the fixings have been properly sited and tightened. Clearly they don't do this.

So FENSA is just a paper exercise and my local council, Barnet, charge £138.65 per time. That's why I call them Revenue Collectors.

5. !!

!! Active Member

The whole FENSA scheme is just a tax, it costs around £400 to join then around £200 each year plus £100 for an inspection (a installer has a minimum of 2 per year) and as mentioned they only check that the right glass is installed.

http://www.fensa.biz/index.html

Guild of Master Craftsman is the same, I've a friend whos resgisted with them and they haven't inspected his work once and he's a proper cowboy

6. !!

!! Active Member

P.S love the revenue collecters bit

7. building control

building control New Member

Replacement windows are a pain in the butt, usually I have to call around a few times to get in, yes we look for K glass, safety glass where needed and escape windows.

its suprising how many get picked up by a survey and end up with a regularisation application.

8. Biffo

Biffo Member

BC
    can you answer this ??
    i was inspected last week ok.. i asked the inspector K glass in or out on bathrooms and landings ,he said anyway as the rooms are not lived in ?? A previous inspectior told me this aswell ?? if this is the case k shouldnt be needed in these areas ?
    Confused !!

9. building control

building control New Member

The regs ask for K glass in all replacement windows, your bloke must be a numptie?