fitting wall units to partition/stud walls

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by virgindiy, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Guest

you dont have any ambition thats why you are constantly on the forum 24/7

2. Guest

use your time more constructively and do a course and actually learn something for real

3. Guest

then you might have some genuine credibility on the forum

4. Guest

there is a certain saying maybe it applies to you a know all who knows f all

5. virgindiy

virgindiy New Member

thanks chippie244

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

No problems Mr DIY :)

7. Ĥ

Ĥ New Member

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Oh dear, another troll.

9. Ĥ

Ĥ New Member

You are a disgrace.

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

and you're a troll :)

11. Ĥ

Ĥ New Member

12. I just thought I would add a suggestion to get this thread back on track to answer the o p's original question. :)

I agree with those that mention the use of a continuous hanging rail but i would like to add that where the end of the rail finishes midway between two studs I use a couple of expanding hollow wall anchors to keep the rail back tight to the plasterboard.

This will also take some off the weight and wont pull out of the plasterboard due to the expanding legs behind. Most off the force on the fixing is a sheer force downwards with very little force pulling away from the wall.

With all the wall units bolted together the end of the rail is only carrying the weight of one half of the end unit in any case.

There are offcourse other more messy ways like carefully cutting away the plasterboard and fitting noggins but this looks unsightly unless you are doing your own kitchen and are happy that it will be hidden once the units are up.

13. mrmitreman

mrmitreman New Member

get a pad saw,cut approx 150mm hole underneath where brackets are to be fixed,slide a piece of 18mm ply or simular up behind plasterboard fixed by screwing through front face of plaserboard.replace plasterboard cut out.now have a solid fixing for your brackets.takes about 5 mins for each ,obviously 1 patress will do for two brackets where u have adjacent units.a few L brackets on top of the units fixed afterwards into the studs will take the pressure off the plasterboard.seems long winded but quick and simple.