Fix dropped 2nd hand upvc exterior door

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by pal123, Feb 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. pal123

pal123 Member

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Try turning door up other way,even try at a angle, might move things enough for you to unlock it.

3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Do you mean the key only goes in half way or only turns half way?

4. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Active Member

get someone to put a spade under door to lift door while you are turning key to open

KIAB and teabreak like this.
  5. ginger tuffs

ive just looked at your picture and door is not fitted so put door on hinge side and play around pulling door up or try parting stile of frame to release lock

6. pal123

pal123 Member

The key only goes in halfway. The key does not turn at all (0 degrees rotation). I will try putting the door on its hinge side, what is a parting stile?

7. jonathanc

jonathanc Screwfix Select

Take the glass out and moving the door up and down will be easier

8. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

If the key only goes in half way there's something wrong with the key or Euro lock barrel. Are you sure the key fits the lock?

teabreak likes this.
  9. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

I would suggest snapping the lock, lots of stuff online showing how to do it. The problem is not the door but the euro lock.

Hans_25 likes this.
  10. ginger tuffs

if it is right key then try rubbing a pencil lead up key then push key in and out keyway to lube cylinder if that does not work then snapped as teabreak said

11. pal123

pal123 Member

The key does fit, though the lock may be broken. Can I use fairy liquid instead of a pencil to lube the cylinder? How to I snap the lock with the door locked shut?

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

13. pal123

pal123 Member

Thanks Kiab will try

14. pal123

pal123 Member

Those Self Grip Pliers Straight (mawl grips) look like the 6" or 8" set, which do you think it is? And I just noticed that the glass on the door does not have a kitemark, does that mean the glass is not shatterproof?

15. pal123

pal123 Member

My mistake: The keys provided do not fit the euro cylinder. I have put WD40 both around the euro cylinder and inside the cylinder

16. pal123

pal123 Member

I've used the 8" mawl grip (self grip pliers straight) on both sides of the Mika eurolock, with the door 1) straight up, 2) hinge down, 3) hinge up and 4) door upsidown, no effect. The grips are so tight that they left indentation marks on the top of the eurocylinder and I am using a lot of force (a lot more than the Ultimate Handyman video shows!).

I did find this Youtube video , it shows a way of shearing through the locking pins by drilling through the euro cylinder directly using a 6mm titanium drill bit on the edge of the bottom part of the keyhole. Has anyone tried this method?

17. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

A good solid tap on the grips as close as possible to the door with a hammer might do the trick.

18. pal123

pal123 Member

I drilled through the pins on both sides using a 5/6mm titanium tipped drill bit, and removed all the springs-a key for another Mira eurocylinder door will go into the lock 4/5 of the way but won't turn. A small flat head screwdriver will go a bit into the door but won't turn the key. I've also used a the grips and tapped with a hammer - no effect the eurocylinder didn't break. I also put a wood block above the cylinder and used a hammer to tap (with a lot of force!) the wood block - no effect. Photos of the Mila (not MIra my mistake!) are here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/r8wca1n2yiyup0q/20200214_mila eurocylinder with drilled hole 1.jpg?dl=0, https://www.dropbox.com/s/eiwmqnfk45kqpf3/20200214_mila eurocylinder with drilled hole 2.jpg?dl=0, https://www.dropbox.com/s/oi5rncfegvsf780/20200214_mila eurocylinder with drilled hole 3.jpg?dl=0, https://www.dropbox.com/s/4xadtxkjvd08yfe/20200214_mila eurocylinder with drilled hole 4.jpg?dl=0. What else should I do?

19. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

You seem to be very unlucky some locks are anti-snap but in those the outer exposed part of the lock breaks away leaving the locking part in place. You have tried the tricks I would have, how about attacking both ends of the lock at the same time with an assistant, there may be excess play in the housing that stops the force being transmitted to the weak centre part.
    Or bang a screwdriver in to stop the opposite side moving up as you force the other down.

20. pal123

pal123 Member

There is another youtube video , this describes using from 5:00-10:00 the same 5-6 drill bit to drill through the shear line - which I have done, the pins are visible and stuck

I would rather damage the eurocylinder than further 'bang/impact' the locking mechanism by blunt force. If this doesn't work I will try hammering in a screwdriver then forcing down. I did thread in a m5x30 wood screw into the 5mm hole then used a clawhammer to pull back - no effect either

This video also says from 10:00-12:00 to drill through using a 5-6mm drill bit about 40mm through the keyhole in the front of the euro cylinder - I will try this. Has anyone tried this specific method? Once the pins are sheared on both sides they should drop out and the lock should open