Fix TV to plasterboard wall. Already have 10mm holes in the wall.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by NewBornBaby, Jan 13, 2021.

1. NewBornBaby

NewBornBaby New Member

Nylon Fischer plasterboard fixings turned out to be not strong enough to mount my TV on the wall bracket into plasterboard. I believe Molly bolts would be strong enough but I now have 10mm holes already in position in the wall. Please can you advise what size molly bolts will fit into these holes?

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

None, cut out the plasterboard and fit timber noggins or plywood pattressing. I assume it's an internal stud wall?

FlyByNight likes this.
  3. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Active Member

Which fixings?

4. NewBornBaby

NewBornBaby New Member

Yes internal stud wall.

5. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

If it's an internal stud wall, you need to locate and fix to the studs. They should be spaced at 400mm centres. If the bracket for the TV will not reach across two studs then you can either fit a piece of ply to the studs over the plasterboard and fix the bracket to that or, of the TV is not large and the bracket is strong, just fix it to one stud top and bottom and use plasterboard fixings in each cornet to prevent the bracket rotating.

NewBornBaby likes this.
  6. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

Or just buy a telly stand and put it on the floor. It's very hard to fall off the floor!

7. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Dead easy after a nights drinking

Joe the Plumber likes this.
  8. NewBornBaby

NewBornBaby New Member

Is it worth trying snap toggle bolts?

9. Tilt

Tilt Active Member

NewBornBaby likes this.
  10. NewBornBaby

NewBornBaby New Member

15kg TV, pull out, full motion bracket.

11. Tilt

Tilt Active Member

Then as Jord and Bob mention ............ Especially if you have a new born baby, or kids, or care for your wife, for as you have already found out, plasterboard fixings alone are not strong enough........

I've just had to re-fit a kitchen extractor at work as the installers just used two of these [​IMG].

Bonkers. :)

NewBornBaby likes this.
  12. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Active Member

That is going to need fixing back to the studs or additional noggins between the studs.. Toggle bolts, screw in fixings, &c are never going to be enough.

You will need to cut away plasterboard, insert noggins between studs and at the right position, then reboard and refinish.

NewBornBaby likes this.
  13. NewBornBaby

NewBornBaby New Member

Thanks all. I'll find a way of fixing to the studs.