Fixing a bath panel.........

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by removed 7, Oct 22, 2011.

1. removed 7

removed 7 New Member

Hello dears, I need to fix an mdf bath panel, but I'm not much good at woodwork and stuff.   Should I use use mirror screws - even though they're a little bit old fashioned?  It's rather important that the panel must be fixed but also must be removable by the use of a weapon.  I'd rather not say why the panel might need to be removed, it's not as though I've hidden anything behind it or nuffin.....

Replies only from suitably experienced carpenters, joiners and kitchen fitters please - just to keep out the riff-raff.....

Lucia x

2. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

As a plumber the only solution I can offer is lashings of silicon. You will never be able to get it orf....

3. snezza31

snezza31 New Member

Hi Lucy,

Is the panel going to fit tight between 2 walls or can you slide it one way or the other?

I have got a feeling this has something to do with another post that has been running for a couple of days ???? Yey or Ney?

Snezza31.

4. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Have you thought about magnetic fixings,
    Shoe segs make ideal magnets for wooden panels etc

5. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Dusna be daft Lokks, if Looche uses them then her socket outlet under the Bath for the 2 Bar Fire will av 2 B moved elsewhere!  ;)

6. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

MDF isn't really a suitable material to be using in zone 1 Lucy dear. You should be looking at using either a plastic or fibreglass bath panel in this zone (no matter what lurks behind it.

7. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

It doesn't really matter if the screws are visible or if they're security screws for socket under the bath project as long as they can't be undone with fingers. The law, including regs and health and safety assumes some the person has some logic and sense. Its there to prevent accidents , not protect idiots that circumvent safety measures.Good old fashioned hardboard you need, screwed and  screw caps.
    It doesn't really matter if the screws are visible or if they're security screws for socket under the bath project as long as they can't be undone with fingers. The law, including regs and health and safety assumes some the person has some logic and sense. Its there to prevent accidents , not protect idiots that circumvent safety measures.

8. wally

wally Screwfix Select

I reckon if Lucy had hidden anything behind  it would need to be removable by use of a tool.  I rarely look in the regs book but I think thats roughly the wording they use.  In which case what do they class as a tool, dont think they specifically mention a screwdriver (might be wrong) so if this was the case perhaps it could be levered off, perhaps a hand can be classed as a tool so it is very open to all sorts of interpretations.

9. removed 7

removed 7 New Member

That's right Wally: The Regs have never specified the use of a screwdriver as such - it might well be a spanner or a Swiss Army knife.  But our inference has to be that certain enlosures may not be removed by the bare hand alone without the use of some sort of implement - unless there's supplementary insulation within, such as that in a modern ceiling rose for example.

s'funny how the terms:  tool and weapon, seem to be a solely male preserve..........

Lucia

10. coloumb2

coloumb2 New Member

You could always open it yourself, what with you being a bit of tool, like...

11. removed 7

removed 7 New Member

Good evening, Coloumb dear. how are you today - well I trust?

Have you been perusing cheap paperback joke books, by any chance?  It's just that you seem a little more amusing recently in contrast to your former sour nature. I'd like to think it's because you've finally managed to get your leg over - but I somehow doubt it......

Lots of hugs and stuff,

Lucia.

12. coloumb2

coloumb2 New Member

Oh likewise my old *

Message was edited by: Screwfix Moderator

13. removed 7

removed 7 New Member

You disappoint me, Coloumb.  I expected slightly more than "Same to you with knobs on"........

I can only hope that this is a result of you being on the wagon ........

I'm orf to Facebook now, sweetie - perhaps I'll see you later here.......

Lucia

14. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

15. coloumb2

coloumb2 New Member

Well, my ego isn't quite as small as yours so needs quite a lot LESS massaging as yours, so tbh I couldn't *waste my time over you. Sozza.

16. removed 7

removed 7 New Member

No Andy dear, I don't mind explaining that point further, as you're one of my very dear friends here.

If you look at an old  ceramic ceiling rose (or light switch) from the 30's - 40's, say,  you'd find that the outer cover can be removed readily by hand, and that the doing so would expose bare, unprotected, in-your-face, brass live terminals.

A modern ceiling rose also has a readily removed cover, normally without the use of a tool (apart from a Stanley Knife to remove Artex/paint etc) - but the live terminals have secondary protection against finger contact by having semi-enclosed terminals.

I hope this answers your question dear, and that you won't continue to make an issue of it.  Thank you.

Lucia x

17. Mr. Handyandy

No, yes, I see what you mean.

I still wouldn't like to open one up with wet hands, but I can see the point you make.

Unlike removing the bulb/lamp of course(no tools needed) where the switch(normally pull-cord) could be still switched on, and even when switched off, the receptacle still having a live neutral.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

18. removed 7

removed 7 New Member

I'm pleasantly surprised by your concilliatory tone, Andy. I hope that this is the new reasonable you.......

Can you tell me why you might ever open a CR, having wet hands - unless you're a naturally sweaty-palmed person?

Lucia x

19. wally

wally Screwfix Select

As your on the subject re exposed terminals Lucy one of my old electric fittings puzzels me.   I have this adaptor which does not look right, can't even imagine that it passed any safety issues at the time.   The only thing I can think of some safety built in switch as any plug was inserted, I will have a look sometime but dont remember any, welcome your thoughts.      *

20. Mr. Handyandy

Yeh, it's busted. Seems the ring(although metal) that has the slots for the bayonet pins is/are missing.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really