Fixing a fire surround to wall?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by SteveMJ, Apr 5, 2016.

1. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

Hi

This is a two part question for a fireplace that will not be used for a fire:

My son has purchased a wooden fire surround and attached it to the plastered chimey breast by gripfill - is this adequate? It feels pretty tight, but now a bit concerned that a mechanical fixing is also required i.e screws.

The old fireplace hole and the fire surround infill has been made from MDF and son's fiance is doing something with copper tiles - not clear to me yet. I was thinking that the MDF could be held in place by back filling with expanding foam. This will fix the MDF and fill in gap between the uneven wall and the MDF. Will this be OK?

Thanks for the advice. Steve

2. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

The common practice is to fix a right angle bracket then plaster over.

Attach the bracket to the inside of the surround then chase out plaster then fill over.

Grip fill isn't enough of a fixing for me, kids could swing on it etc.

See what others say

3. I agree with Tore.

There should be metal brackets fitted to the sides, at least two and towards the top. Sunk into the wall and skimmed over.

Gripfill is very strong, but relies totally on it all having been done properly (dust-free surfaces, for example) and also on the plaster skim being secure (if that comes orf, it all does...).

I personally wouldn't be happy with chust adhesive, although they will likely 'get away' with it.

4. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

Thanks tore and DA,

Son was keen to get the job done. No kids involved (yet, LOL) just a cat. I think I'll dril through and put a couple fo fixings into the chimey breast.

What about the MDF infill and the lining for the fire hole? No strength needed, but plaster work and raw bricks in hole are rough after old back boiler gas fire removed, so the expanding foam will fil all the irregularities. Reasonable?

Thanks, Steve

5. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

A few options!

I have never tried your way to be honest.

1 - I would of probably use bonding 1st coat plaster basically like cement. Doesn't have to be perfect just fill irregularities to get some sort of evenness to stick MDF to.

2- If you have the room you could Dot dab plasterboard even some fixings on to bricks with adhesive then grip fill/stick mdf on to that.

Only my suggestions! I think your plan would work too but. Foam can be messy!

I would go option 2 if you have the room plus can be packed out to what you want.

See what others say

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The MDF panel would have been easier to fix to the mantel before it was fixed to the wall, using screws. The inner portion is usually recessed to allow for this.

On an mantel I installed a while ago, the fixings were located on the front using hammer fixings, these were then covered over with a wooden plug.

upload_2016-4-5_21-9-42.png

7. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

That makes Sense JT.

What about the gap in the bottom where your fake fire or feature etc goes how do you finish that off. Cause there will just be a hole there.

On that subject aren't you meant to put a chimney brush, can't remember the name up the chimney to stop drafts etc.

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I made this up, to cover up a removed gas fire back boiler.

i left a 9x3" (grill mesh) vent in it for ventilation, purposes.

There is also a socket as well, if an electric fire is to be used - hard to see as its a black socket.

The wall was lined, so didn't chisel out the brackets, used picture brackets 38mm.

upload_2016-4-5_22-1-27.png

upload_2016-4-5_21-55-15.png

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  9. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Nice job mate and the brackets look smart.

Maybe be a good option for the op with picture brackets as it is already glued.

I'm guessing his MDF piece has a square cut out. That's how I've seen them

KIAB likes this.
  10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Can't we use Stixall DA?! :oops:;):D

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The back boiler had a flue liner 5" which was fully removed. Depends whether you have a aluminum gas terminal as the flue or clay chimney pot. I just used a pepper pot cowl, this provide weatherproofing and ventilation.

13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Thinking I may get a quote to fit a wood burner, live near to the woods so there is a lot of wood around.
    Plan would be to remove the carpet in lounge and install wood flooring. Going to be autumn and gonna get cold.

14. SKC

SKC New Member